The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup restore failure - cant locate tmp files?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by COinCO, Jan 28, 2010.

1. COinCO

COinCO Registered

Hello! Total newbie - could use some guidance.

I created a backup using the cPanel backup tool and when attempting to restore the backup file using the remote tool, it failed. This resulted in the placement of loads of files (the pie chart for usage says they are tmp files) so I am thinking the restore process makes a backup before it completes the restore?

I went from 1500/3000MB space used to 2800/3000MB and am now reaching the limit of my hosting server space. I do not know where to go to remove the files - can someone help?

:confused:

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You should probably contact your host and ask for assistance in sorting this out, short of that you could use the Disk Usage Viewer to locate files on the account you can kill to free up some space.

It sounds like you're trying to restore a large account from within your cPanel, if yes your host can do this for you much easier and safer if restoring the entire account is what's needed.

3. COinCO

COinCO Registered

Sadly, the host is notorious for poor customer service. We've opened a ticket, and we wait.

edit to add: It is via the disk storage viewer that I see an enormous % of "tmp" files. But no clue where they are hiding.

I am helping a friend, and am new to this host/cPanel and never encountered anything like this mysterious auto restore feature and what it does/how to troubleshoot when it fails.

Been looking in my file manager but cannot locate any files that don't belong there. It is really bugging me.

Thanks

#3 COinCO, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010