The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup/restore for transferring accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by myplacedk, Mar 8, 2004.

1. myplacedk

myplacedk Member

I'm just a reseller, so I have limited access to the servers. I don't have access to the automated copy-procedure, but I need to transfer some accounts from one server to another.

I could ask someone with full access to the target server to do it, but I'd rather do it myself for several reasons.

If I do a simple full backup from an accounts cPanel, create a similar account on target server, login to cPanel using the new accounts, and then restoring, would that work?
    Anything I should be aware of?

Also, DNS caching will cause a period where both servers are used. Data for the websites is easy, both webservers just use the same MySQL server.
    But how about emails? I don't want to ask lots of people (some of them is anything else than geeky) to check mail on two servers. But how can I get the old server to deliver all mails for these cPanel accounts to the new server? Any ideas?

2. myplacedk

myplacedk Member

No comments?

3. BrightAdmin

BrightAdmin Well-Known Member

Hi myplacedk,

The problem can sorted out by following these steps:

1. Go to the cPanel control panel for the site
    2. Generate a full backup of the site
    3. Download to your home/work computer
    4. Create the new account on our servers
    5. Login to the control panel for the account on the new
    server
    6. Go to Restore backup

This will restore the account just like the automatic transfer however it will take a couple extra steps.

You can have one mail server for more than one web server. You can do the same by editing the corresponding domain's zone file. The IP in mx entry should point towards the mail server.

Regards,

4. myplacedk

myplacedk Member

Thanks for confirming that I can use backup/restore for transferring the accounts.

I think you misunderstood the part about emails, but I think I've found a solution.

5. tizoo

tizoo Well-Known Member

Mail and DNS

Regarding the mail and DNS problems, here is how we do it (we just set the DNS TTL to zero) :

In WHM :

1) DNS Functions -> Edit a DNS Zone
    2) Choose the domain
    3) Edit all relevant TTL entries (including the "Minimum TTL" field) to be zero
    4) Wait 4 hours (14400s = default ttl in our configuration of cpanel)
    5) Create the account on the new server
    6) Change the DNS zone to point to the new server's IP (At least the MX entry)
    7) Do the transfert

Hope this helps,
    Florian Blaser
    TiZoo Sarl
    Switzerland

6. myplacedk

myplacedk Member

Users cannot restore full backups, only homedir backup. I guess I have to get the support techs to make a transfer.

7. DTCAN

DTCAN Registered

Do I assume from this quote that the instructions provided by my new hosting provider are incorrect?

I am a reseller and they (my new hosting company) instructed me to do a FULL backup with cpanel of each site at my "old" hosting company, download the tar.gz backups to my local PC, then log-in to my reseller account at my "new" hosting company and do a cpanel Restore of each site back-up on my local PC to the corresponding site I've set-up on my new reseller account.

By doing so, all I get is the backup tar.gz file copied into a new folder with the same name of the back-up file.

Can I or can I not Restore a full back-up of each site at my previous hosting account to my new hosting account?

I've been going back and forth for hours and am no farther along at the process than when I started.

A definitive answer will be of great assistance.

:confused:

8. kliest

kliest Member

You can simple go to your cpanel, and make a home backup and backup all your databases. Then go to your new whm, create a new account. Go to your new cpanel through IP, go to backups and restore your home backup and mysql databases.

This will restore your email accounts, databases and all your other stuff. Make sure that your databases are still in tact after the transfer, and if you have any cronjobs also look if they are still there.

If you do this then everything should work just fine:D

9. knipper

knipper Well-Known Member

OK... I'm confused.

I've been using cpanel for about two years, but due to manually having local copies/backups I never tried the CPanel version.

I just got a new server, and was testing all the cpanel functions. I tried the backup and restore functions.

1)From the account I created... I used generate/download full backup.
    2)I downloaded this to my local PC
    3) I corupted/deleted files, and made a general mess... like a potential end user would.
    4) I used the cpanel restore backup function, where I had to upload the tar.gz backup
    5) Cpanel said restoring backup... after several minutes I went into file manager via CPanel to take a look.
    6) There was a new folder named the same as the tar.gz file was.
    7) Nothing was actually placed where it should have been. The deleted files were still gone., etc.

BUT.....

When I looked at the newly created backup folder, it had everything. Cron Jobs, the correct paths, folders, etc. pwd files... everything.

Is this how CPanel backup is supposed to work? If so it would seem like you should just unzip it loaclly then upload all the files to the server.

Or was this not correct?

10. Ionutz

Ionutz Member

Back-up

Hello,

I have the same problem. I have made a general restor saved on my computer in extension tar.gz. then i have copyed the back up on to the new account trough back-up service from cpanel. When i looked on www directory, nothing was there. but i saw a tar.gz file on root account. I have looked on to back-up service and i saw that back up is in progress back-up................tar.gz (in progress).

how much i must wait to have complet transfer on my new account?

Regards,

Ionutz

11. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We have had two account restores not work today.

Anyone else able to use this still?

Full Backups

Generate/Download a Full Backup

This is the option that is not working..

12. rbrown

rbrown Active Member

Restores email and database? Why do you say stuff like this? The restore feature totally doesn't work. Has it EVER worked? Does it actually work for anyone in the world?!! Our users are complaining that it doesn't work on our system either. All it does is extract whatever tarball you upload. How useless is that? I can do that in WinZip myself.

I know that the copy account or restore backup works from the WHM, but the users only have access to cPanel. Is there any way for a user to restore a backup without having to tell the host provider every time a roll back or restoration is needed?

13. iakhan

iakhan Registered

full backup restoration?

hi friends...
    I will be grateful if I was helped by someone. :)
    my problem is that:
    1. I generate full backup of my all sites on my old server and do the following method:
    after clicking the generate full backup, I choose the passive ftp transfer method,
    then give the new server IP address, then username of a new reseller account created on new server, then password and at last clicked generate full backup.

2. When I checked the new server, through ws_ftp software all the backup files with .tar.gz ext, were there under the that reseller name which I had created on new server i.e. myreseller.

3. Then I connected to my new server thru IP address with root /password, and then clicked on "Restore full backup/cpmove files" but it show nothing.
    I tried other restore methods, but cannot succeeded.

Will any friend help me to "How to restore the backup files already backup and present on new server under the same reseller account? Pls tell me the restore method from root/whm.
    thanks.

14. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The backup files need to be in /home or /root