The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup & Restore

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soumitra, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Soumitra

Soumitra Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi.

One of my sites was hacked. Then I removed Wordpress from Fantastico. I had taken a backup before. Now can i know the process to restore & reactivate the site ? The backup [ Full site backup] was on the Home directory , which I copied on my PC.

Now I have some very Silly Questions like :-

1. Should I first re-install wordpress in my root directory through fantastico ?
    2. How do I restore the backup ? I do not have the WHM. And where do I restore that ? in public-html or which location ?

2. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

First you need to find out how the site was hacked? If you do not have root access to WHM, you need to contact your host with the backup so that they can restore it for you.

1 >> Change the cpanel password to a better strength.
    2 >> Use the latest wordpress version.
    3 >> Make sure there are no files and directories with permission 777.
    4 >> Before restoring the backup scan for vulnerable files.

3. nightman

nightman Member

If you had taken a full backup of your site (after the hack occurred) then the backup itself may contain an backdoor. so restoring the backup files will not help you to solve the issue.

if you do not have any other backup, then you forced to restore this backup and upgrade the wordpress to the latest version and change the passwords as well.
    hope this helps.