The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup retention issues

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by HaveAByte, Aug 24, 2015.

1. HaveAByte

HaveAByte Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I used to use Legacy Backup with the following settings:

Daily, Weekly and Monthly Backups
    Dailies run every day
    Retain 1 of EACH.

With this configuration, I could count on /backup to always have three copies - one each generated within the last day, week, and month.

Then I switched to the new backup system, same settings. It doesn't seem to retain weekly or monthly at all. A friend told me this is because the weekly and monthly are linked to some daily, and when that daily is deleted, the related weekly or monthly is also deleted. But this seems crazy. The weekly or monthly should be an independent copy. Otherwise I'd have to tell the system to retain 30 daily backups which would use too much space. And it didn't work that way with Legacy.

I set daily to retain 2 days worth, and when the weekly day came along (Sunday) it managed to create one, but (according to my friend) I think it might disappear tonight (Tuesday) as only Monday/Tuesday dailies will exist and the weekly one "copied" from the Sunday daily into /backups/weekly will be obliterated for no valid reason that I can understand.

With the settings above, shouldn't I be able to rely on the system keeping 1 monthly for 30 days, then updating it on the first of the month, 1 weekly for 7 days updating it on Sundays, and 1 daily each day?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator