The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup running for almost 8 hrs every day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cretu, Jan 15, 2003.

1. cretu

cretu Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I started to using backup facilty within cPanel presetting it to &daily&.

Now, I noticed that the backup runs for almost 8 hrs every day, keeping very high load.

Is there any way to speed it up? I do not mind high load but not from 8 hrs.

Your help will be appritiated.

Regards,

M. Cretu

2. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

I would appreciate an answer to this as well - cretu how/where did you discover that - 8 hours?

John

3. cretu

cretu Well-Known Member

John,

I've monitored the server status but at the end of the process I went to my backup drive and found out that /daily folder consists of the files created from 0:00 to 7:50. It clearly shows that the whole process took 8 hours. Sites in total are only 5.5GB only. I am affraid that if I load more sites the backup process could take even more.

Does anyone can offer the tip to tweak it up, perhaps? Or alternative?

Regards,

M. Cretu

4. rastoma

rastoma Well-Known Member

why would u backup daily? unless you're adding many accounts every single day i feel it's a waste of resources and puts more stress on the backup drive. i run weekly on all my backups.

what do you think people do who just uploaded their site? do they delete their web files from their PC? no they don't. so if it's less than a week and your server crashes they can easily reup their site.

5. HSAdam

HSAdam Member

Actually alot of customers WANT daily backups just incase so it is not a bad thing to be doing.

6. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

[quote:93596aebee][i:93596aebee]Originally posted by rastoma[/i:93596aebee]

why would u backup daily? unless you're adding many accounts every single day i feel it's a waste of resources and puts more stress on the backup drive. i run weekly on all my backups.

what do you think people do who just uploaded their site? do they delete their web files from their PC? no they don't. so if it's less than a week and your server crashes they can easily reup their site.[/quote:93596aebee]

Many customers have dynamically-driven sites utilizing databases that get updated on a daily basis. The daily backup ensures their databases get backed up regularly. Ask yourself one question (assuming you store your customers in a database): Would you only want your customer database backed up weekly? I'd sure hate to lose a week's worth of my customer data.

Jaz

7. cretu

cretu Well-Known Member

Hi there,

The day I started this topic I've contacted cPanel support team, looking for any tips to decrease the backup time.

After some tips from their tech I was able to cut the time for backup to half. Right now it takes about 4 hours to backup the data worth of 6GB.

Since it is not perfect solution yet, I would like to see this time cut to even more.

Ok, here are cPanel techs tips:
    - first, increase value of server load to anywhere from 5 to 10
    - secondly, enable DMA by entering this command: hdparm -d1 /dev/hda (for IDE drives only)

That was it.

Regards,

M. Cretu