The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup script file ownership

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fishfreek, Apr 2, 2004.

1. fishfreek

fishfreek Well-Known Member

The backup script within WHM causes the files to be owned by the account username. The net result of this is that the backup files end up being counted toward the users quota.

Whats the best way to go about having either the ownership on these files changed or having the backup partion not included in the quota counting?

Use the backup path /backup for example.

2. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

This should have been fixed a few weeks ago, which build are you currently using? I assume you are doing incremental backups into /backup

3. fishfreek

fishfreek Well-Known Member

Well to be quite honest I have not tried since the days of running 8.8.0_SXX.

Im now running 9.1.0_S73 and would like to renable backups.

My real problem is that we where using FTP backup solution but the server really got choked on large accounts and ended up causing the backup process to run long into the afternoon sometime making the server unresponsive. I figured a local backup would speed things up since it would nto have to ftp the backup file before moving on to the next account and then I could manually FTP the bacup files weekly to our remote server.

Was this changed in 9.1.0_S73? If need be we could upgrade to 9.1.0_S93 but I really dont want to upgrade beyond that.

Along the same note is there a way to have the backups be suspended if load goes over a set level?

4. kmsd

kmsd Well-Known Member

Will be nice when these questions are answered :-/

5. DHL

DHL Well-Known Member

The backups should be stored on a partition that doesn't have quota's running, then the files won't be counted towards the users disk space.

If you have a seperate /backup partition, make sure usrquota isn't added for that partion in /etc/fstab.
    If you do have usrquota added into /etc/fstab , then remove it and remount the backup drive, to disable the quota process.

#5 DHL, May 10, 2004
    Last edited: May 10, 2004
  6. kmsd

kmsd Well-Known Member

How about for remote FTP backups with a server that has only one drive? It doesn't copy and tar the files to a folder that I can specify :-/.

7. sloop

sloop Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I am having this same problem.

One of my users has a forum that writes files, he gets 'disk quota exceeded' messages for a few minutes every night when backups are running.

he is using 320MB with a 600MB quota.

8. kmsd

kmsd Well-Known Member

And you are referring to remove FTP backups? I hve the same issue.. you can't choose the partition the backups are created on before uploading to you FTP server... so, I get a log file that's over a MB long with Disk Space Warnings for several users repeated over and over. It would be nice if this was fixed for Remote FTP Backups.

9. sloop

sloop Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

yes, my problem is with remote FTP backups.