The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup server to external hard drive recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AnnaES, Aug 9, 2016.

1. AnnaES

AnnaES Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello!

I don't have much experience with managing a server and am new to WHM, but ended up semi-responsible for an SME's server for multiple websites/databases. I was asked to figure out a way that an office staff member could backup everything to an external hard drive, and was wondering if there were any suggestions of a user-friendly way to do this. I know it is easily done for an individual account on cPanel, but is there any way WHM can do something similar but more comprehensive? I couldn't find anything, but may have missed a feature.

Right now, I have a compressed backup stored locally on the server. I figured my best option was going to be configure backups to store locally, and then leave the staff member to download this to an external HDD on a schedule. I added ConfigServer Explorer to WHM, but don't seem to be able to download directories, only the tar files individually. I tried to use scp in the browser terminal CSExplorer provides, but this failed as well. I am trying to avoid having the staff member ssh in.

I've done some Googling and not found anything, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. kernow

kernow Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have a look at using rsync. Lots of pages on using rsync, here's one: rsync

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You may also want to consider connecting/mounting the external drive to the system if possible, and then using the options available under "Additional Destinations" in "WHM >> Backup Configuration" to store backups to an additional local directory. The option is documented at:

Backup Configuration - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Otherwise, "rsync" is a good utility for copying over data.

Thank you.