The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup server using WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cozam, Feb 20, 2007.

1. cozam

cozam Registered

I am trying to figure out how to go about making a complete backup of the files on my server to my personal computer. I do not understand how to do this in WHM. On WHM I see the "Configure Backup" but I do not understand how to fill out this section.

I want to backup the files to my own computer.
    Here is the information that needs to be filled out:

Backup Status: Enabled Disabled Restore Only

Backup Interval : Daily Weekly Monthly
    Backup Retention : Daily Weekly Monthly
    Days to run backup : Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
    Remount/Unmount backup drive Enabled Disabled
    Bail out if the backup drive cannot be mounted Enabled Disabled
    Incremental backup : Enabled Disabled
    Backup Accounts : Enabled Disabled
    Backup Config Files : Enabled Disabled
    Sql Databases (at least per accounts is needed to use the restore feature) Per Accounts Only Per Accounts and Entire Mysql Dir Mysql Dir Only
    Backup Raw Access Logs Enabled Disabled
    Backup Type Remote Ftp Server (Accounts Only) Standard
    Ftp Backup Host (Remote Ftp Backup Only)
    Ftp Backup User (Remote Ftp Backup Only)
    Ftp Backup Pass (Remote Ftp Backup Only)
    Ftp Backup Directory/Path [optional, a directory called cpbackup in the ftp account's directory root will be used if none specified examples: /home/fred/cpbackup,/backup/cpbackup,/files/cpbackup] (Remote Ftp Backup Only)
    Use Passive mode for Ftp transfers (required if you are behind a firewall or ftp backups fail) Enabled Disabled
    Backup Destination :
    Select Specific Users

If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it. WARNING! I am very unknowledgeable - and not a technie, so I need pretty specific instructions.

My goal is to get everything backed up so I can change to another server.

thanks
    cozam

2. brendanrtg

brendanrtg Well-Known Member

I dont see the need to backup your files to a local space ( I assumed its your local computer you want the files to be?).

Once your new server is in place, you can actually move the sites across to the new server if they are both running cpanel.

Did I miss something?

3. cozam

cozam Registered

No, you didn't miss anything, it is just my ignorance - I did not know that transferring to another server was possible either or I probably would have asked that question of how I could go about doing that. The new server is also running cpanel.
    If you could give me some advise on how to do that I would greatly appreciate it.

Connie

4. aby

aby Well-Known Member

You can use the option of

>>Copy multiple accounts from another server from WHM

Just keep an eye on the server load while you are doing this transer... If the site to be transfered is very large.. better copy the backup file .. copy to the other server and restore it there..

5. cozam

cozam Registered

Good advice - just realized that the WHM I am switching to not have the transfer option showing. I will ask them if I can get that activated. It is not a dedicated server so might not be possible.

thanks everyone for your help!