The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup setting up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dxer, Jan 1, 2003.

1. dxer

dxer Well-Known Member

I have two hard drives on server. One is just for backup but I don't know how to point backup to it.
    When I access Format/mount in WHM here is info I get:
    Found Disk: hda (Partition,Format and Mount disk)
    Found Disk: hdd (Partition,Format and Mount disk)

But in server information I get this info which is not similar to the one from
    Format/mount section.
    hdc: diskname, ATA DISK drive
    hdd: diskname, ATA DISK drive
    As You can see hard disks are HDC and HDD but up there WHM said that Found disk
    is HDA and HDD ?
    What is it about

Let's say that empty disk is HDD and I want to point backup to this disk. How can I do this, how to access this disk. Do I have to assign drive label &backup& or I must create partition &backup&. I learned that I can do this with Disk Druid or fdisk but I don't know how to access this point to start this procedures. On redhat.com I found this but they are talking about procedure if it is on PC installed but I'am accessing server from remote location.

Thanks

2. mrprez

mrprez Well-Known Member

Here is the way mine is setup with a 2nd hard drive:

Backup Status - enabled
    Backup Interval - Daily
    Remount/Unmount - enabled
    Incremental Backup - disabled (haven't tried this yet)
    Backup Accounts - enabled
    Backup Config Files - enabled
    Backup Destination - /backup

You will need to create a partition on the HDD. You can call it whatever you want. You don't specify which drive the backup goes to only the partition.

Hope that helps.

John

3. dxer

dxer Well-Known Member

But I must specify that backup goes to second drive. I mean , how the system will know on which drive I want to create partition. WHM just telling /backup but how the system will know which drive is backup partition on. i know this must be HDD but how to point this action to it.

Can You tell me ho You create it step by step. You can send me this through PM
    Thanks

4. TheVoice

TheVoice Well-Known Member

you need to create the /backup partition on the second hard drive. when you point to it the server will automtically go to where the partition is. Whicih would be on the second hard drive.

5. mrprez

mrprez Well-Known Member

Linux doesn't have to know which drive it is on. All it looks at is the partition name. Linux file structures are different than say MS.

John

6. dxer

dxer Well-Known Member

That is all OK but noone told me how to create this partition on second drive. I understand that Linux will find this partition but first I must create it on the second drive and not on first drive. So , how to create partition on HDD (second drive)

Thanks

7. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not sure how Linux works if the Hard drive is already partitioned -- as previous partitions would need to be destroyed/altered. Other than the &Format& command, anyone know if something like Partition Magic is available for Linux?

And if one does use the &Format& command or &Disk Drives & Format/Mount a new Harddrive& does Linux ask for Partition name after Formatting like Windows does? But then, if does, how did it know which partition to format in the first place?

gotta love this computer stuff! Hah :p

8. dxer

dxer Well-Known Member

I presume that second drive is HDD (first is HDC) so what command will be (and from where -SSH or where ) to partition this drive ?

9. NiteStalker22

NiteStalker22 Active Member

Type..

df -h

..in the Shell. Whatcha see?