The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by n2nis, Apr 19, 2006.

1. n2nis

n2nis Active Member

Not sure how to setup cpbackup...

My machine layout has one harddrive and I have a remote service for backups.

My question is how to set cpbackup to backup everything to the /home directory and then use rsync to move only the updates to the offsite remote service.

I read the thread on how to implement the "rsyncable" option with cpbackup (great thread)...

I also found a thread that said to create a bogus account "cpbackup" and then remove it from the scheduled cpbackup (did that)...

When I go to save the new configuration (telling it to not backup the bogus account "cpbackup", and use the directory "/home/cpbackup") I get the following error:

"Quotas cannot be built! Your cpbackup destination is on a filesystem which has quotas enabled. Please move it to a filesystem which does not have quotas turned on or a seperate partition/disk slice mounted at /backup.Backup has been disabled to prevent quota problems...
    Backup Configuration Saved!"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. n2nis

n2nis Active Member

Well checking out another cpbackup post (different problem) I realized I could just modify the cpbackup.conf file which I did and enabled cpbackup manually. So far so good backed up what I wanted. My only question now is will cpanel override that option on an update, as well as overriding the crontab I am assuming I will have input manually...?

Thanks for any help

3. n2nis

n2nis Active Member

Well last night the backups didn't automatically run.:rolleyes: Is there anyone who can answer my first question? apparently modifying the config file manually won't setup the crontab correctly, and still unsure if cpanel update will overwrite the config file anyway....

4. Kasper

Kasper Active Member

there are several possible reasons crontab didn't start:
    crond wasn't ran, the load was extremely high, ftp service was down (as I understand, you use remote backup feature) etc

Regarding crontab: you can configure your own crontab to run cpbackup with your own config before the original one starts.
    Thank you.

5. n2nis

n2nis Active Member

Thanks for the response Kasper only couple of things...

Server load shouldn't have been an issue as this server is still being setup so nothing is running on the server that should have caused a highload (actually I was monitoring the server when the backup should have been running) causing cron not to work.

I am using rsync with ssh so ftp shouldn't have been an issue. Also I haven't set that to run on cron yet, I am baby stepping making sure the backup it self is running correct first.

Also I know cron was running cause I am getting feedback from other cronjobs running.

Thanks again for your thoughts but I think what you mention isn't the issue based on my above observations.

I guess I am wondering how some of these guys are doing backups to their home directories? I see where they are posting their settings for rsync but I'll be darned if I can figure it out.

6. krava

krava Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What does /var/log/cron say about your cron taks ? Did you check the cron log file ?