The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup sugesstion....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mitul, Apr 7, 2003.

1. mitul

mitul Well-Known Member

Hello All,

I have configured all my servers backup through WHM -> Backup. Has anyone used this feature before? How reliable is this feature? I am now totally dependent on this backup.

Please comment on this.

Thank you,

2. tkoweb

tkoweb Active Member

Different Drive I hope

It'd be useless to backup to the same drive, hopefully you're going to a diff. physical drive. If it's in the same system, you probably want to leave it mounted only for the backup, then unmount when done. Preferably do this backup to a diff drive on another server (cross backups).

I recently had to use my backups for the first time, and it restored about 97% of my accounts on one server nicely.

Problems?

1. Stats were not backed up.
    2. Server settings did not quite restore as gracefully, but that was relatively easy to configure, thanks to cpanel's "fix*just-about-anything*" scripts.
    3. Accounts seem to take up 200% of their original sizes. I had to go into psftp and clean up accounts (found "residue").

All said and done, I'm happy w/ the backup feature of the Stable release. It saved me alot of money a few days ago.

3. mitul

mitul Well-Known Member

I am taking backup on a different drive. Everything seems to be working fine. Backup is been taken on the scheduled time. I just wanted to confirm whether it helps while restoring the accounts. Is it faster, reliable?

Thankx for the reply.

4. Silverado

Silverado Well-Known Member

I have restored another companies web sites using the backup files. There were a LOT of accounts to move but once everything was set up and we reset the quotas, everything worked great.
    It took about 16 hours though to back up 500+ sites. :eek:

Oops... I just wanted to add that the original Hard drived failed and we had to back up the entire server.

5. TheCrazyHostGuy

Do these back-ups actually include all of the cpanel settings??? or just the client data?

Also, is it possible to pre-build a stable version of Cpanel that is ready to go if needed and just swapp the physical hard disk drive?

or are you doing your backups to a seperate HDD then rebuilding your redhat & Cpanel drive then restoring from the back-up?

We are looking for a near seemless way to do this to prevent as much down time as possible!

Thanks for the comments, any suggestions would be great!

6. Silverado

Silverado Well-Known Member

The hard drive on their server had failed. So a new one was installed and configured w/Cpanel and red hat. Once that was ready to go we just installed all the web sites from the backup drive. (a Long process if you have hundreds of accounts).
    Everything was setup for each web site just like it was (when the last back up was made, in this case it was a weekly backup), so no client actually lost much of anything... regarding mail boxes, databases.. etc..etc. in their personal cpanel.
    Even the packages for hosting plans can be back up... and this should be done last in my opinion. It could have been an error on my part but I did try to upload this first once.. and they never took. This was (my opinion again), because there were no web sites using that package. But once the sites were all uploaded all the packages took on the next restore.
    You will have to set up any resellers you have again..... and also you will more than likely have to run /scripts/fixeverything. I use fixeverything because it resets quotas and mailbox permissions amoung other things.
    I don't' really know who you were directing this at, so I just thought I would throw my hat in the ring again for you.
    I hope you find this info helpful. BTW....... once everything was done... it was seemless..... but some sites had a good amount of downtime while the new HD was setup and backups restored.