The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup system config FTP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hedgehog, Nov 7, 2003.

1. hedgehog

hedgehog Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have noticed that the FTP backup in WHM has a rather unforunate limitation; it does not backup the system config but rather tars the user data... I do not see how this can be usefull in case of emergency since the server cannot be restored unless the system configuration files are also restored.

I am wondering if someone has a work around this limitation that would enable the config files backup through FTP... I am aware of several scripts that do upload an existing backup to another machine. But I do not believe that a backup on the same machine would be useful in case of a hacking incident for example and do not see why there should be a copy on the same machine at all... Ideally the solution would be just like the one WHM uses... it puts the files in a temporary location, tars them and then uploads them. The only thing that is needed at this point is a script that would also gather the system configuration in one tar ball and upload it with the rest of the data (perhaps as a mock account or something).

Any ideas you can provide would be appreciated.

Hedgy

2. hedgehog

hedgehog Well-Known Member

any updates?

Any update in this regard?

Nick? are you looking into adding this into the cpanel backup?