The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup System Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamiedolan, Mar 18, 2011.

1. jamiedolan

jamiedolan Member

Hello;

I have my cPanel server on a VPS. I'm using a external, over the internet service to backup my files. I'd like the cPanel system to backup my databases locally so my backup program can then back them up. I've read about the backups, but am unclear on exactly how a couple things work.

If I run backups; with "Backup Accounts" Disabled, and "Backup SQL Databases" set to Per Account and Entire MySql Directory, will the backup system still backup databases for each account and the entire MySql database, even with backup accounts disabled?

If the backup retention is set to Daily, Weekly and Monthly, how many copies does the system store, 1 for each day (30 copies)?

Thank You,

Jamie

#1 jamiedolan, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Jamie,

You can still backup the entire MySQL directory and all databases even with per account backups disabled. It will not work, however, unless you also have "Backup Configuration Files (not needed for account restoration)" enabled as well per my screen attachment.

Screen shot 2011-03-21 at 2.21.51 PM.png

If you do not select "Backup Configuration Files (not needed for account restoration)" along with the "Backup SQL Databases (at least "Per Account" is needed to use the restore feature)" > "Per Account and Entire MySQL Directory" option, then you won't get any content backed up and will only have /backup/cpbackup/monthly create a file called cpbackupstatus.cfg that shows the last run time without any actual folders and files saved.

For the backup retention, if you set to daily, weekly and monthly, you get 3 copies:

- A copy that is overwritten each day for daily
    - A copy that is overwritten each week for weekly
    - A copy that is overwritten each month for monthly

Thanks!

3. jamiedolan

jamiedolan Member

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

Will the backup system still backup the databases in the same manner if I use a remote sql server, setup via WHM?

Thanks

Jamie