The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup time saver tip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kernow, Jan 7, 2013.

1. kernow

kernow Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,
    We were looking into why our backups seem to take longer and longer and decided to look at clients email accounts. What we found was that many accounts had 0000,s of emails in, some had huge amounts of email in excess of 100,000 mails going back years, but these huge amounts of emails were not in a user created email account like jon@somedomain.com they were in the clients cpanel username account, the root account if you will. emails that had been sent and returned for some reason or system emails from cpanel etc. These emails are often never read and often not deleted. What's this got to do with backups you say? Well after getting permission to empty the root email accounts from the biggest client culprits we were able to delete around 400,000 emails and its these that were slowing down the cpbackups! After removal the backup time was reduced by an amazing 7 hours! :D

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    This is a handy addon for just this sort of thing. It makes going in and wiping them quick and easy:
    ConfigServer Mail Manage

3. patchwork

patchwork Well-Known Member

i think it would be nice if we had something that would archive older emails and compress them into a single file. With many people now using imap the amount of older emails is now becoming a bigger and bigger problem. I have emails in my own account from 2006, but I don't really want to delete them fully.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Is this what you're thinking of?

Email Archiving - cPanel Documentation

5. patchwork

patchwork Well-Known Member

That only seems to handle new emails.

It would be nice to have something that can backup and restore old emails based on a date range to a compressed and optionally downloadable file.