The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup to a anothe Cpanel Server with the backups being new 'live' accounts on server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SupraMario, Jul 13, 2011.

1. SupraMario

SupraMario Member

Hi everyone,

I've spent hours *searching* so I didnt get flamed like crazy on backups and how people go about this, but cannot find any posts relating to the query I have specifically, so therefore this thread is created.

Basically I have 2 servers, both running cpanel, one server has a 'daily' backup directory roughly 60gb.
    Server2 is small, 4gb daily backup and I simply rsync this one down to another machine.

However..

Server1 has my important sites on it, I'd like to transfer these to Server2, but instead of just rsyncing the /daily/ directory to a location like server2:/backup/server1/.

I want to know if there is a way to backup all the accounts and have them set up as "live" accounts on the second server. This way, say if server #1 fell over and completely died, all the sites would already have accounts setup and running on the 2nd server and I would just require to update dns records.

So far, nobody can give me a clear response to this, I can't be the first person to want to do something like this, and emails to support havent yeilded any responses yet either, so I thought i'd try the public forum.

It is almost as if the server would do a 'transfer' of accounts as the backup method to the 2nd server and that would be the "backup" so to speak..

For now, I'm just rsync'ing the daily directory to the 2nd server.

Look forward to hearing replies / ideas with this.

2. kjg

kjg Well-Known Member

Re: Backup to a anothe Cpanel Server with the backups being new 'live' accounts on se

Not sure I understand your question 100%, but if you want to be able to recreate the accounts on the other server, you just have to copy the daily backups from server1 to daily on server2 and after that restore from backup via WHM on server2
    Main >> Backup >> Restore Multiple Backups

3. k-planethost

k-planethost Well-Known Member

Re: Backup to a anothe Cpanel Server with the backups being new 'live' accounts on se

in this way should take hours every day for transfer and restore i mean if you copy them from root.
    even if your first server crash if you change dns , dns takes from 3 to 48 hours for propagate until that time the server should be fixed.
    you can copy the data or use the second server as an ftp remote to the first.

4. SupraMario

SupraMario Member

@kjg that is basically what i'm looking at doing, no automatic way to do that, i thought there might be a 'mirror / sync' option for cpanel to have a secondary server ready to go.

@k-planethost , dns changeover is no big deal, that would be fine, but yeah it will take hours to do this everyday to sync the daily, however i only increment update, so the initial transfer of 60-70gb is the big load and then its the just small items (one would think)

and because its incremental, I dont think I can use the FTP method anyway, or can you still with incremental ?

so it seems, i'm just best off doing what I'm doing, and working out how to 'restore multiple' on its own..
    once i figure that, i could make Server2 sync backwards to the other server as well... hmmmm *interesting*