The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup to another server

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by uk01, Apr 6, 2015.

1. uk01

uk01 Well-Known Member

Hi there,

At the moment our cpanel vps's backup to themselves then transfers the backups to a remote ftp server, however this is currently causing issues because we have to make the vps's on ESXi bigger than necessary.

We are also moving to SSD soon and would prefer WHM was not thrashing the SSD drives with 40gb of writes every night.

I have read about "mounting" a network drive to linux and possibly using that to back up to. A possibility was FreeNAS running on a backupsy.com vps. It seems to run fine and I can connect to the nas from home but I'm worried about security.

Is FreeNAS really necessary or are we able to simply mount a folder on another linux server directly onto the cpanel server and back up to it.
    Abit like we mount a dropbox folder on our desktop and save to it?

I'd just love to find a way of doing this so cpanel backups save directly to the backup server instead of locally first then transferring to remote.
    Or am I dreaming?

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

For this type of backup setup, I will suggest you install cPremote backup plugin for the backup and enable incremental backup. With this plugin you can setup remote FTP backup with incremental format so that you will get any performance issues in the backup time

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. uk01

uk01 Well-Known Member

Yeah I came across Cpromote and it looked ideal but I was put off by a few forum posts elsewhere from people who had issues with restores. Might be worth another look

5. uk01

uk01 Well-Known Member

Hi, yes this is the reason I was asking the question. What I can't understand is how 3rd party software like CPremote can do incremental backups and then take remote copies yet cpanel thrashes the server drives every night with 95% similar data.

Hence why I was looking at possible mounted drive options