The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup to server home directory... possible?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by saindra, Jul 26, 2010.

1. saindra

saindra Member

May 21, 2009
    I am just wandering if it is possible to write the backup file generated by cpanel default to server home directory rather than account home directory.

I am currently generating full backups of accounts for remote FTP server transfer but it fails if the account quota is not sufficient for backup file... I can think of the way around for this is to write these cpanel generated backup files to server home directory rather than accounts root directory.

Any help is highly appretiated
  2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Houston, TX
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is discouraged

By "server home directory", do you mean /home, or the server's root directory, / ? If you mean /home, then this would not solve the problem, since /home is going to be on a partition with quotas enabled, and the backups would still count against users' quotas.

If you mean putting backups on /, you can specify / as the backup destination. cpbackup will create a /cpbackup directory, if it does not exist. As long as / does not have quotas enabled, this would work for you, but it depends on how your hard drive is partitioned. If /home is on its own partition with quotas enabled and / is on a partition without quotas enabled, then this would work.