The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup transport errors

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by bouvrie, Jun 18, 2015.

1. bouvrie

bouvrie Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We were getting "Backup transport errors on" mails, with lines like:

I had to sift through the /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup_transporter.log log file to find "warn [cpbackup_transporter] Upload attempt failed: 183142215: No space left on device".

Can the Backup transport errors mail be made more verbose by including a specific cause (i.e. the caught 'No space left on device' warning)? Or can the transporter log file be attached to such Emails?

feldon27 likes this.
  2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Have you checked your backup server disk space ? As you are getting " No space left on device" messages

3. bouvrie

bouvrie Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yeah, diskspace is the culprit, my gripe however is the effort I had to put in to investigate this; if the cPanel backup script is able to send an Email with the backup log attached, why can't the backup transport procedure do the same for the transport log? I'd like my Email more verbose than "Unable to send", i.e. "Unable to send due to no space left".

feldon27 likes this.
  4. bouvrie

bouvrie Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Right, I've installed a hookscript to mail me the cpbackup_transporter.log. I installed it twice:
    1. One script hook, installed with
      /usr/local/cpanel/bin/manage_hooks add script /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/system_backup_post.php --category=System --event=Backup --stage=post
    2. The same script, placed in /scripts/postcpbackup
    The scripts indeed trigger post-backup, however they don't seem to return the exact same logfile (one seems to offer an additional 4-seconds of log lines). I'm thinking the backup transfer process is separate from the cpbackup one. Can I install a hookscript on backup transfer, or get more verbose output on the backup transfer process?

Otherwise, I'm inclined to switch to the LEGACY Backup: its logfiles contained all information on local backup process and FTP transfer, plus it never failed to run (unlike the new one, which seems to avoid starting when following the Backup transport errors-situation).

Is it true that scheduled backups get disabled after an error or something? Is there a setting I'm missing here?

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I suggest opening a feature request for this via:

Submit A Feature Request

This is the intended behavior, but there's actually an existing internal case open to address an issue where backups to remote destinations are disabled after failures. For reference, the internal case number is FB-189861. You can monitor our change log to see when this case is implemented:

cPanel - Change Logs

Thank you.