uk01

Dec 31, 2009
HI we are looking to get another storage vps. This one is a "storage box" not a raw vps with centos.

This will store cpanel incremental backups. The supplier has told us that the files will "all be stored as the same user" and they don't use "root user"

With a normal VPS we use SSH to the root user.

If backups from all users on the server are not stored with their user/group ownership will this affect restores?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
If backups from all users on the server are not stored with their user/group ownership will this affect restores?
It shouldn't as you wouldn't restore anything directly from that location, they have to be transferred back to your server first.

uk01

Dec 31, 2009
great so when they are rsync'd back to the cpanel server the permissions/user/group id's are corrected again when restored?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
If you access the remote server as the root user they'd be saved as thus but none of that is automatic for restoring remote backups. I believe it would depend a lot more on the specific tool you use as well.

uk01

Dec 31, 2009
Our local storage server is just raw centos and we backup as root user ssh access.

This other remote server has a specific user, so we will need to get more clarify on the restores before we proceed. I'll try and do some more digging around the forum.

uk01

Dec 31, 2009
Like you say, it's how you retrieve aswell. Normally with rsync user etc can be preserved, but as far as I"m aware they have to be stored as root remotely but I'm sure I read somewhere cpanel sorts user/group providing the restore is done properly and not just rsync'd into the home folder.

Reactions: cPanelLauren