The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup very slow or needs a fee houres.....

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by P1800, Jun 20, 2008.

1. P1800

P1800 Member

Hi

i got a problem with cpbackup. It needs more then 24 hours for a daily backup.

In the server i use a 3ware raid1 and i mount /backup over a gigabit LAN over NFS.

Then i think its a performance Problem of nfsd. So i installed a second drive into the Server.

Now /backup is a second S-ATA II Drive. (not on 3 ware)
    It needs over 16 hours for a backup! :mad:

Does anyone have the same problem? And how can i make it faster?

Thanks for any help.

2. mstuebner

mstuebner Well-Known Member

Hi,

here it is similar, I found that the last backup of less than 150GB onto the same disk used more than 8h what I feel is much too long.

That gave me the question: Can I set a parameter somewhere to see which step in the backup takes that long?

3. hikaro

hikaro Well-Known Member

same issue here, it takes too long for backup, and take cpu resources also quite high

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It takes as long as your server resources allow, which would suggest that the server simply isn't powerful enough for the amount of data you're trying to backup. You can alleviate a lot of the load by enabling incremental backups instead of full backups, but that has its disadvantages, the main one being that the backups will take up much more room as they're no longer tarballed and gzipped.