The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup vs. PKGACCT

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by linkup, Feb 1, 2007.

1. linkup

linkup Active Member

I am in the process of getting a new hosting client that already has her site hosted on cPanel. The current webmaster is being stubborn and won't give me root access but it also seems backup is disabled. When I go to the domain's Backup page it says this:

However, when I clicked the option to do a full backup it brought up the screen to designate where to put the backup and it said it would email me when done. I launched it last night and I checked this morning and it wasn't done. The site is only about 6GB so I can't imagine a backup would take long but the file size is 0 and I never got a letter saying it was completed.

If I can't do a backup and I can't get root access to run pkgacct, it seems I can only FTP but that doesn't seem like a viable way to capture the domain in it's entirety for restoring purposes.

Don't I need either the pkgacct or full backup to properly move the domain over? Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Lew

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    A full system backup will work fine in most cases. Once you have a full system backup, move it to public_html of the account, wget to /home/ on your box and do a restore backup from WHM.

But a 6 GB backup is a huge job IMO. If there are old log files, backups and other misc crap that can be killed it should be. Just to make the job go a bit easier.

3. xerophyte

xerophyte Well-Known Member

If understood your question correctly, You can use the "Copy an account from another server " from your whm with username and password to move the account to your server.

6G sound little big for move, but you can reduce the size of site using ftp or taring the files, then try to move using whm tranfer

hope that helps