The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup WHM for disk upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wheeler84, Feb 15, 2009.

1. wheeler84

wheeler84 Registered

Hi,

I want to put hardware RAID onto my dedicated server, and have been informed that they will need to wipe the existing disk and I will need to restore backups of my files.

While I know I can restore cPanel account backups fairly easily, how can I keep my WHM configuration intact? I assume that they are going to give me a blank install of WHM.

Is it possible to make a complete backup of my WHM configuration somehow?

I notice the backup option "backup configuration files" which is not possible through remote FTP, so what if I was set /backups/ as the Backup Destination, transfer that file somewhere off the server, then copy the files back and use the backup restoration? Would that give me the result I want?

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You might want to retain a copy of the service config files in /etc as well as /var/cpanel/cpanel.config and so on. If you update cpanel and then make copies of /usr/local/cpanel and /var/cpanel, you should be able to restore those after formatting the new disks and reinstalling cpanel.