The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by netarus, Nov 1, 2002.

1. netarus

netarus Well-Known Member

What are the draw backs (if any) for putting the /backup partition under /home/backup since the /home partition is suppose to consume all the remaining drive space? Besides, the installation instructions do not even indicate creating a /backup partition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mikerayner

mikerayner Well-Known Member

[quote:5d8184c617][i:5d8184c617]Originally posted by netarus[/i:5d8184c617]

What are the draw backs (if any) for putting the /backup partition under /home/backup since the /home partition is suppose to consume all the remaining drive space? Besides, the installation instructions do not even indicate creating a /backup partition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote:5d8184c617]
    You can ask your NOC to add an additional HDD to your system and mount it as /backup then setup backup function in WHM

3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I think the main drawback is that backups are generally to be ready for future problems, and if the problem is a hard drive failure, backups on the same physical drive will be useless. Backups on a seperate hard drive are much safer.
    Also, if someone actually gets into your server root to cause damage, they will likely damage everything. Backups on a seperate drive can be unmounted between backups and then the hacker won't even know it's there.

4. netarus

Yes, but a hacker could just mount the backup drive if they get root access. So they only way they would be able to access /home/backup if they had root access?

I am not talking about regular backups to tape either. I'm trying to find out about the backup feature within cPanel. Can you place it under /home/backup. Besides someone finding out your root password.

thanks.

5. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Correct on that one! Always at the very least keep the backups on a separate Harddrive, and try to also off load to somewhere else on at least a monthly basis. Disaster recovery is very expensive especially when you need it, and do not have it.

6. netarus

We swap out tapes and they are RAID drives. Is there any concern with the backup feature in cPanel storing it under /home/backup

7. mikerayner

mikerayner Well-Known Member

[quote:38b081745d][i:38b081745d]Originally posted by netarus[/i:38b081745d]

We swap out tapes and they are RAID drives. Is there any concern with the backup feature in cPanel storing it under /home/backup[/quote:38b081745d]
    If you use RAID tapes, why do you want /home/backup?
    It is not safe and secure to backup in /home/backup ,also there would be lack of space

In addition, backup is useful when you have a crash, hack, attack and ... putting it in the same HDD is not a good idea also not useful.

We are using external backup device (server) from HP, but also it is possible to use another HDD in the same box.