The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups and upgrades not occurring

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cbsilence, May 5, 2011.

1. cbsilence

cbsilence Member

Shamefully, I hadn't noticed until now, but I've been getting no e-mails from upcp and no backups or upgrades have been done in a while.
    I don't see anything odd in the logs, but I'm not sure which to look at; I don't see any specific to cPanel. Is it OK to try running the scripts manually? How can I find out what went wrong?

(By the way, the "edit profile" and "edit settings" links on registration are broken, and I can't edit my settings afterwards either. It tells me I don't have enough permissions!)

2. cbsilence

cbsilence Member

Well, I've ran the upcp and cpbackup scripts manually, and they seem to be working fine; So the question now is, does CPanel have its own cron? Is it possible it stopped running for any reason? Can I check it or restart it somehow?

3. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes, when you configure backup a cron will be configured. You can see the cron using the command crontab -l from SSH. You can always check the backup logs to see if there are any errors. Logs are located in /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup

4. cbsilence

cbsilence Member

Thanks for the reply.
    For some reason I assumed that cPanel had its own cron.. Anyway, I can see the cPanel cron entries with crontab -l:
    Code:
    58 4 * * * /scripts/upcp
    0 1 * * * /scripts/cpbackup
    35 * * * * /usr/bin/test -x /usr/local/cpanel/bin/tail-check && /usr/local/cpanel/bin/tail-check
    30 */2 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/bin/mysqluserstore >/dev/null 2>&1
    15 */2 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dbindex >/dev/null 2>&1
    7,22,37,52 * * * * /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/dnsqueue > /dev/null 2>&1
    30 */4 * * * /usr/bin/test -x /scripts/update_db_cache && /scripts/update_db_cache
    45 */8 * * * /usr/bin/test -x /usr/local/cpanel/bin/optimizefs && /usr/local/cpanel/bin/optimizefs
    */5 * * * * /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dcpumon >/dev/null 2>&1
    19 21 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/cgi/cpaddons_report.pl --notify
    I also know that cron has been running properly so far, at least as far as I can tell (user crons work). The /var/log/cron* logs don't mention cpup nor cpbackup -- shouldn't there be some indication that it attempted to run them?
    However, the logs/cpbackup directory was empty until I ran cpbackup myself manually. This is not a new install by the way, we've had this server for a few years now. None of the other logs in that logs directory seem to indicate anything being wrong.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello cbsilence,

Is crond running on the machine? The first reason I would suspect crons aren't processing would be that crond wasn't running (since it isn't monitored by Service Manager):

Code:
    ps aux | grep crond
    Next, if crond is running, then please provide the output for these commands to see your WHM > Backup > Configure Backup and WHM > Update Preferences settings:

Code:
    cat /etc/cpbackup.conf
    cat /etc/cpupdate.conf
    Thanks!

6. cbsilence

cbsilence Member

Well, I checked to humour you, but as I said -- cron's working fine, user crons work. I can see activity in the cron.* logs I mentioned.
    Code:
    # cat /etc/cpbackup.conf
    BACKUP2 yes
    BACKUPACCTS yes
    BACKUPCHECK yes
    BACKUPDAYS 0,1,2,3,4,5,6
    BACKUPDIR /backup
    BACKUPENABLE yes
    BACKUPFILES yes
    BACKUPFTPDIR 
    BACKUPFTPHOST 
    BACKUPFTPPASSIVE no
    BACKUPFTPUSER 
    BACKUPINC no
    BACKUPINT daily
    BACKUPLOGS yes
    BACKUPMOUNT no
    BACKUPRETDAILY 1
    BACKUPRETMONTHLY 1
    BACKUPRETWEEKLY 1
    BACKUPTYPE normal
    COMPRESSACCTS yes
    DIEIFNOTMOUNTED no
    GZIPRSYNCOPTS --rsyncable
    MYSQLBACKUP both
    Code:
    # cat /etc/cpupdate.conf
    CPANEL=release
    Again, manually running /scripts/cpup and /scripts/cpbackup worked, so I'm wondering if something else got in the way. Having run them manually might also have fixed the situation, so we'll see over the next day or so if the situation is resolved..

7. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Based on your current /etc/cpupdate.conf file, it would seem like WHM > Update Preferences might never have been saved (since normally it sets several other components for automatic updates). Would you also be able to go into WHM > Update Preferences and set any of the other options to automatic or whatever you prefer and save that section? At that point, if you could then provide the contents of /etc/cpupdate.conf again.

8. cbsilence

cbsilence Member

Strange, considering I haven't touched that in a long time. Did it get reset by an update at some point?
    Code:
    # cat /etc/cpupdate.conf
    CPANEL=release
    RPMUP=release
    SARULESUP=release
    SYSUP=release

9. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It might have been reset by an update at some point, since the area does change from time to time.