The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backups cause apache to choke

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by madmac, Mar 29, 2005.

1. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

Hi all.

I've noticed when backups are running on my server, apache intermittently chokes... sometimes you have to refresh 3 times to connect to a site on the server during the period the backups are running.

Also that setting in WHM about what load level causes it to appear red does not stop the backups... they just keep running until they are done. It doesn't seem to care what the load is. I had it set to 4 and the load when backups run is 6-12. I've set it down to 2 and still the load when backups run is 6-12.

The backups only take a few hours to complete, but still it is rather annoying.

Anyways, anyone know of a way to make it so the server is still accessible while backups are running (the problem comes from damn GZIP consuming the entire CPU)???

Server is a P4 2.4GHz.

I'm thinking of switching to incremental backups... anyone know if they consume less CPU?? I don't care if they take longer to run as long as they do not significantly hinder server performance like GZIP backups do.