The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups load

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DreamPhysix, Aug 13, 2011.

1. DreamPhysix

DreamPhysix Well-Known Member

I'm having issues with server-wide cPanel backups because of "Waiting for load to go down to continue". I recently added another virtual CPU to my VPS thinking that would help, but it still shows load issues with copying homedirs. What can I do? The load goes up way too high for the backups to finish in a timely fashion... I suppose I could let the backup finish completely and then look through the logs but that would probably result in major downtime because load goes up to 15

#1 DreamPhysix, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    How large are the accounts you're backing up?

3. DreamPhysix

DreamPhysix Well-Known Member

I have 7 or so accounts. Most are under 600 MB, some under 10 MB. One is 2700 MB. The load warnings appear on all of them. Right now I'm working on a bash script to backup the public_html files I need as well as some mysqldumps and export them to a remote server to see if that causes as high of load too

4. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If the accounts have large mail folders, or large number of files, this can often increase I/O wait and hence load. I would recommend you to consider the cPanel backup exclude feature listed below.

Excluding Files from Backup Using cpbackup-exclude.conf

By adding a file cpbackup-exclude.conf in your user's root folder and adding paths of redundant or large folders, you can exclude them from cPanel's backup process and save a lot of space and also CPU and memory resources that are being wasted in generating backups of unimportant folderes. This leads to overall better performance from the server as well as saved disk usage.