The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups not running

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sparek-3, Nov 14, 2003.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We have the CPanel Backup set to run daily on all of our servers. On some servers the backup does not appear to be running. The dates of the backups are a few of days old. Is anybody else experiencing this problem? We are running 8.5.4-R7 on all of our servers. Does anyone know what might be causing this problem?

Thanks

2. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. Backups are not running daily as they should. Today is the 24th and the last "daily" backup was the 22nd. Before that it was the 20th. and Before that it was the 16th or 18th (can't remember which).

What is going on?? Is there a log the backup outputs somewhere that I can check for errors??

3. edesignway

edesignway Well-Known Member

I ran into this issue earlier. Make sure your server load isn't too high because the backups will stop running at a load of 1. In my case my exim_mainlog was too large and everytime grep would run it would spike the server load until it finished running. When the backups are running run the command "top" to see if anything is running high resources.

Regards,
    Timothy

4. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

the backups will stop running at a load of 1!? Are you sure about that??

It just seems odd because I am on a reseller server on my old host and the cPanel backups run, and you can tell because when the backups run it pushes the server load to ~10.

On my dedi server, only 3 sites are currently running and the average server load is 0-.02 (sometimes can see .2 but average is ~.01).

I find it hard to believe the backup would stop running when the server load reaches 1, especially since the gzipping would consume alot of the server resources.

And if this is in fact true, can it be configured somewhere?

5. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

yeah I don't see how that "backups will stop running at a load of 1" could possibly be true.

I just manually ran the backup script (before I started the script the server had a load of 0.00 with an average of 0.01 in the last 15 minutes) and monitored the server status and at times during the backup, the server load was pushed as high as 1.75, and that is only with backing up 3 accounts (plus server config stuff and databases). I can't image that they would program it to stop running when the load got above 1, as it would not complete on any server... ever.

6. edesignway

My backups are due to run soon from the cron job. The command that runs the backups has a CPU watch line in there, I will paste it when it starts running. (This server is a default CPanel install)

7. edesignway

Here is the command that runs on the nightly backups...

/usr/local/cpanel/bin/cpuwatch 1.0 /scripts/pkgacct USER /backup/cpbackup/daily

To me that tells me it stops running the backup at 1.0 until the load drops down, which it does do that because I monitor my server durring the backups.