The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups not working completely

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slinky, Dec 23, 2007.

1. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

When I choose to do a full backup using "generate backup" which gives you the full backup and choice of download or dumping it somewhere, I end up getting something quite small that doesn't have everything in it. It cuts out when the file is 3MB or so and definitely doesn't back up databases. There is plenty of space on the backup drive and also on the account which I am using. This didn't used to happen and only occurs since a cpanel update at some time past. The only way to generate truly full backups is to go to the backup wizard and download a backup of the public area and then download each database. Anyone experience this as well?

2. tweakservers

tweakservers Well-Known Member

Not seeing the issues on the recent latest release of the cPanel. What do you get when you run /scripts/pkgacct cPanelusername in SSH?

3. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

Interesting... that seems to work perfectly but launching in cPanel does not. I just upgraded everything yet again and we'll see how it goes. There is funky stuff going on with Perl Instlal modules (gettext) which give me out of memory errors that are cpanel related. My machine has more than enough RAM.

Thanks for this tip as at least the backup in this manner works. It also worked downloading. It just didn't work using cPanel and dumping the backup below the web root directory.

4. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

Hmmm... it seemed to work but I have no idea where it dumped the archive. It's not at the root level or below it unless the above was a test run.

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    pkgacct typically places the archive in /home, or what matches HOMEMATCH in /etc/wwwacct.con

6. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

OK - I have discovered the problem. I downloaded the backup generated below the root of the public_html. The "full" backup seems to backup everything but the public_html directory. Any solutions as to why it's omitting this rather important directory? :D

7. Peoplespaces

Peoplespaces Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am finding the same thing. when I create a backup it does not create a complete backup. It leaves out stuff in the public_html directory.

8. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is there any pattern to what is being excluded? For example, all files that are owned by nobody, instead of the user.

9. Peoplespaces

Peoplespaces Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I see no pattern. Maybe someone else will.

10. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

For me it seems to be almost always the public_html directory that is not completed. It is consistent and repeatable and it does it every time.

11. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

Guys - still nothing. The homedir which contains public_html never gets created doing a backup that is supposed to write it to the home directory. When I try to download a tarball of same generated on the fly using the wizard, I get an error towards the end that the file could not be read.

backup-mysite.com-4-9-2008.tar.gz.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

This is getting ridiculous. I am now pretty sure that all my "successful" automated backups are also not completing even though they say they are. I'll have to take out a ticket but thought everyone should know I'm having this problem.