The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups - question about space usage, cascading space use and flushing or cleansing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stardotstar, Jun 12, 2010.

1. stardotstar

stardotstar Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I have just completed a server move of three big sites and during that time I had various htdoc_sitexyz.tar files scattered around in some of the home directories. Both in own domains and as addon domains within a reseller home.

So the home directory of my main reseller account had some doubleups of what would become the web tree of some sub domains - as the tar balls and the inflated trees were in place when the backups executed. Furthermore there were some database dumps and backups and snapshots that were littered around the home directories that again, would be doubleing up against the final implementation databases when they get backed up.

Today I have a much much larger backup tree than ever before and since seeing it I have gotten to cleaning up after the migration (success at any rate) and am just wondering if there was a way that I could "flush" the backups of the offending domains? I have other hosted clients so I need to preserve the whole backups at large but just the main reseller I moved could do with being a more realistic size - and I don't want the additional data to cascade back into the roll back trail of yesterday, the day before (tomorrow) and then in the monthly??!

I think I have the configuration right and it is set to daily, weekly and monthly backups done daily using the incremental backup method.

I take it that this means that on the next scheduled backup the space requirement will be normal as it won't hold the additional data - but is there any safe way to expunge the perservation of the additional as it cascades back into the history of the sites....

Hope I explained that ok guys.

Will

2. syslint

syslint Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

You first need to clear all useless files and old backups from your home folder .

3. stardotstar

Hi, yes I did say that but was not terribly clear about that:
    So I had removed the double ups and other files, dbs and backup tarballs etc but they were originally backed up on the first rotation...

4. stardotstar

Looking at the backup structure it seems that I can just ssh in there as root and make it whatever want it to contain as long as I am not wanting to use the restore automated function through whm. I am just expunging the account backup trees that contained the old data - or the data itself.