Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Backups script temporary files /home/temp

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Alrissa, May 13, 2018.

1. Alrissa

Alrissa Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi folks. I generally just lurk here and steal solutions. Here's one I either can't name correctly while searching or hasn't come up that often:

Main question: I've been trying to pin down where cpanel backup script actually generates temporary files during a backup.

I either missed it or it's so obvious It's not mentioned. /home/temp is currently my only candidate?

Generally this is for servers where sites, database and OS are on the main, smaller faster drives while backups are on larger, slower disks (or even partitions mounted remotely to a storage server)

Basically I'd like to either symlink, move or mount that temporary folder to a larger drive so that backups don't make the (in some cases relatively tiny) primary disk go to 100%

I appreciate any insight.

(Edit: Just to clarify I did see the feature requests and discussion for people with remote backups complaining that backups need disk space. That seems normal for me . I'm mostly curious about getting cpanel to use a larger drive or a specific location during backup creation for all activity done by the backup script. )

#1 Alrissa, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
  2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @Alrissa

The files that are created during backup aren't necessarily temporary per say, not in the sense that a php session file is a tmp file. In instances where you are creating backups and storing them remotely the backups are staged at the location listed as the "Default Backup Directory" located at WHM>>Backup>>Backup Configuration. This can also be identified by running the following:

Code:
    grep BACKUPDIR /var/cpanel/backups/config

You can set the backup directory to any directory you choose though the default is /backup

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Alrissa likes this.