The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups taking all my server space

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by suge1w, Jan 22, 2014.

1. suge1w

suge1w Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The CPbackup cron job was configured to store backups of my site on a daily basis. I've since changed this to weekly.

I have a problem however with backups being stored on my server and I don't know how to find them and get rid of them. I'm a total SSH newbie but I'm trying to learn. I've been dabbling with commands for the past 3 hours but I'm still not getting anywhere.

Currently, I have a VPS server with 30GB hosting space. I have a disk space warning of 84% on "dev/vda1" device it seems but I don't know how to reduce this size.

Commands I have been using are "du -h" "df -sh" "cd" but seems like im not getting any further. Anyone know what's happening?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: WHM Help: Backups taking all my server space.

Hello :)

The following document should be of help:

cPanel - Manage HD Space

Backups are stored in the /backup directory by default. If you are using legacy backups, then you will see a directory for "daily", "weekly", or "monthly". The directory names are based on the date of the backup generation if you are using the new backup system.

Thank you.

3. suge1w

suge1w Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: WHM Help: Backups taking all my server space.

Thanks for that reply Michael. I had read that document earlier but I re-read it and realised I wasn't adding the trusted "*" to list the files. :rolleyes:

All sorted now.