The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by X F e L i X, Mar 7, 2004.

1. X F e L i X

X F e L i X Registered

Hi everyone.

I have a question about the backup option on the cpanel, and yes, I have read the documentation.

From what I understand, the backups are either daily, weekly, or monthly. This option is selected by your host.

A) Does that mean that if the host sets up monthly backups, that once per month, cpanel will automatically backup your site? Or does this mean you’re only allowed to download a full backup once per month?
    B) You can generate as many backups as you’d like and store them in public_html if you’d like correct?

I’ve noticed that many hosts charge a given price for “weekly” backups or whatever. I’m guessing that this means, in order to use the backup service, you have to pay their price.

So will the backups generated here be stored on another server somewhere else?

Is there anyway to set up the backup system to back up the files directly onto your computer so that you don’t have to go through a host and pay the extra money?

2. X F e L i X

X F e L i X Registered

Anyone, help plese?

3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

The daily, weekly, and monthly, options is what the hosting provider sets up in his WHM control panel. If it's set to daily, it does daily, weekly, and monthly. Set to weekly would do weekly and monthly, and set to monthly does just monthly. These backups are usually for the host providers purpose, like crashes or whatever.

In your sites cpanel, you can usually generate backups whenever you want. There are 2 problems with storing them in your public_html folder though. First it counts toward your disk space, and second, next time you run a backup, it'll also backup the backup which is usually not wanted.

The hosting provider's backups and your own cpanel generated backups are normally 2 seperate things. You generate a backup in cpanel when you want, then usually download it. It's not possible to have it automatically download to your computer because cpanel doesn't have access to your computer.

4. X F e L i X

X F e L i X Registered

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Heh, great deal of help, awesome. :)

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

No problem.

I was going to reply last night but I had quite a scedule so I left it figuring someone else would answer, but nobody else did.