The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dc2447, Sep 13, 2006.

1. dc2447

dc2447 Well-Known Member

I had been doing weekly backups for monthly without a problem however I recently enabled daily backups too. However now I get noise from tar about the files changing under TAR

This seems to happen every night on the daily backups but it didn't happen with the weeklys.

Can anyone explain why weeklys always suceeded?

Is it fair to say that there is no point in backuping using cpanel if it's going to do this every night (I have alternative backups)?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's to be expected and perfectly normal. The mysql backups will usually be done per user account through mysqldump if you have that selected in WHM as well as the /var/lib/mysql backups. The weekly backups are simply an rsync of the daily backups.

3. dc2447

dc2447 Well-Known Member

I see - I'm only getting this because WHM is tryingh to tar the mysql data directory.

If I select "Per Accounts Only" in the sql backups - it will just mysqldump the databases? Is that right?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes, that's correct. The backup of the /var/lib/mysql is still probably a good idea incase the dumps fail for any reason.

5. dc2447

dc2447 Well-Known Member

The backup of the whole directory using tar will fail every night as the mysql data files are always changing.

I'm already doing a hotbackup and my own mysql exports every night so the whm backup was just a third line of backup.

Many thanks