dc2447

Apr 18, 2003
I had been doing weekly backups for monthly without a problem however I recently enabled daily backups too. However now I get noise from tar about the files changing under TAR

tar: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock: socket ignored
tar: /var/lib/mysql/forums/attachment.MYD: file changed as we read it
tar: /var/lib/mysql/forums/post.MYI: file changed as we read it
tar: /var/lib/mysql/forums/post.MYD: file changed as we read it
tar: /var/lib/mysql/forums/searchindex.MYI: file changed as we read it
tar: /var/lib/mysql/forums/thread.MYD: file changed as we read it
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
This seems to happen every night on the daily backups but it didn't happen with the weeklys.

Can anyone explain why weeklys always suceeded?

Is it fair to say that there is no point in backuping using cpanel if it's going to do this every night (I have alternative backups)?

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
That's to be expected and perfectly normal. The mysql backups will usually be done per user account through mysqldump if you have that selected in WHM as well as the /var/lib/mysql backups. The weekly backups are simply an rsync of the daily backups.

dc2447

Apr 18, 2003
The mysql backups will usually be done per user account through mysqldump if you have that selected in WHM as well as the /var/lib/mysql backups

I see - I'm only getting this because WHM is tryingh to tar the mysql data directory.

If I select "Per Accounts Only" in the sql backups - it will just mysqldump the databases? Is that right?

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
Yes, that's correct. The backup of the /var/lib/mysql is still probably a good idea incase the dumps fail for any reason.

dc2447

Apr 18, 2003
chirpy said:
Yes, that's correct. The backup of the /var/lib/mysql is still probably a good idea incase the dumps fail for any reason.
The backup of the whole directory using tar will fail every night as the mysql data files are always changing.

I'm already doing a hotbackup and my own mysql exports every night so the whm backup was just a third line of backup.

Many thanks