The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WireNine, Oct 30, 2006.

1. WireNine

WireNine Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We're having a problem with Cp backups with one of our servers.

Errors are different all the time in logs.

Anyone know the solution?

#1 WireNine, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  2. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

yeah well; i'm having the same problem and i am FO*&^(*&^F(* ready to throw the box out the window!!!!!!! I have not found any information on this at all!

3. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

Yah, it means your box load is getting higher (possibly due to gzip of backups). Increase in the WHM -> Tweak Settings the threshold of load suspend and when the CPU load is considered high.

4. rwoody

rwoody Member

Another backup issue - Possiblly related

I run daily backups at 4am - every morning I see warnings that httpd failed and cpanel had to do a restart - Restart ususally is ok - But Monday after Christmas it failed and I awoke to some very upset customers as all sites were down. It was fixed by merrely doing a restart via WhM - but the whole issue worries me. Now this am I find SSL was down. I contacted support at the NOC and this was their response to my inquiry -

"I could see from the Apache error logs apache exited because of a Fatal error:
    [Tue Dec 26 03:53:37 2006] [alert] Child 3726 returned a Fatal error... \nApache is exiting!
    It could have been because of the backup. Apache is working fine now, I've removed the semaphore arrays. The load also is fine."

This morning I did not get an error indicating httpd had to be restarted, but SSL was down. This all seems to be realted to the backups. I'm backing up to a second drive located on the machine.

Let me know if anyone is familiar with this issue or is it related to this thrread.

Thanks

5. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Someone mentioned MaxCPUs already ....

Another tip ...

Might want to check the logs in /etc/httpd/domlogs and see if any are unusually large
    as those can can slow down your backups quite a bit and should be archived or
    purged if they grow too large.

6. smoge

smoge Well-Known Member

Monitor your server and critical sites using a cheap second server ($29 a month will do it) and setup hobbit ....

Or, if your home PC is on 24/7 - setup OptManager

and setup some alerts to your mobile phone.

Both are free.

Then caused by WHM or not, you will know the status of your servers / sites.

Smoge