The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bandwidth Abuse via Mailing Lists

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jsteel, Oct 21, 2003.

1. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

It appears that as part of the mailing list implementation in cPanel, the /pipermail virtual directory for viewing and downloading archives of mailing lists gets set up and referenced via the base server hostname.

As a result of this, any time someone goes to access the web-based archives for any mailing list, the bandwidth doesn't get counted against the actual customer. Since some mailing lists can get quite large, this could be a substantial loss of bandwidth.

Anyone have ideas on how to fix this issue? I realize it would be easy to block the /pipermail path from the base server hostname using a location deny within the virtualhost entry in Apache, but how do we get the cPanel mailing list implementation to provide the link to the archives for each list based on the actual customer's domain name rather than the base server hostname?

2. mickeymouse

mickeymouse Well-Known Member

Dear jsteel,

I dont think there is a way through cpanel mailing list implementation for doing that one. What you said should be feasible way of setting things right.

Regards,

3. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Nice catch, jsteel -- wasn't aware of the situation and glad for the heads up.

This does sound like something only DarkOrb can address and I would submit a Ticket to them -- see what they say.