The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bandwidth Accessible by PERL?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by isoprax, Mar 13, 2004.

1. isoprax

isoprax Registered

Well I've done some hunting around and all I've seen so far is one other person who wanted to know the same thing as I but he wasn't answered. I hope I have more luck.

In short. I have audio available on my site. I have 20 gigs per month of bandwidth. I would like to write a PERL script that is able to read my current bandwidth total and act accordingly.

Example: Site visitor clicks on audio link. htaccess directs the request first to the PERL script. The PERL script checks to see if the bandidth is near the limit for the month. IF it is then it redirects the visitor to a page explaining what's what. If it isn't near the bandwidth limit then it allows the visitor to download the file.

clear? I think so. the only part I can't do so far is check the bandwidth with a script. Is this possible? Am I dreaming in my quest to automate this? In short, does madness lie this way?

2. ddeans

ddeans Well-Known Member

I have a script that will allow you to evenly distribute the bandwidth. for example, give whoever click's on it a 20% chance to download the file for the day. And you can set the amount of bandwidth to use per day. Is that something you are intrested in?

3. isoprax

isoprax Registered

i don't think so. What I need is my PERL script to be able to read how much Bandwidth has been used already. So it can either cut the download off politely or let it proceed.

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

The file you want to read is at:
    /var/cpanel/bandwidth/[domain.com]

Here's a sample of how it records it:
    11.24.2003-all=393040674
    11.24.2003-ftp=133129137
    11.24.2003-http=259911537

5. isoprax

isoprax Registered

Cheers...that's what I was looking for!