The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bandwidth calculation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alexl, Jun 3, 2002.

1. alexl

alexl Member

One of our customers complained that bandwidth is calculated incorrectly. I see in WHM that he used 611MB in last 3 days. AWStats and Webalizer shows that traffic is near 242MB. I know that traffic in WHM includes also POP3 and FTP traffic. But customer not used POP3 (no entries in maillog*) and upload only near 50KB via ftp (information obtained from xferlog).

How can I recalculate traffic consumed by customer manually and argue him that he really consumed 611MB?

2. thewitt

thewitt Registered

Has anyone else seen this?

I am currently in discussion with my host on this exact issue.

CPANEL reports that I've used 27Gig of bandwidth month to date. It claims my forums subdirectory alone has used 9.5Gig.

Webalizer says I've used 1.5Gig total.

Analog says 2.5Gig total.

I've used about 1.5Gig of ftp and no POP. Very little SMTP.

Any ideas what's happening here? My site is now being severely bandwidth throttled because I'm close to my 30 Gig limit. There is no way on earth these numbers are correct.

How would Analog and Webalizer be off by 10x ?

Thanks,

-t

3. TRAIN YARD SOFTWARE

TRAIN YARD SOFTWARE Well-Known Member

same problem here for years now

4. masood

masood Well-Known Member

5. SHSaeed

SHSaeed Well-Known Member

Who will get the bandwidth if someone downloads files from http://www.domainOne.com/~domainTwo/ ? DomainOne or DomainTwo?

6. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:c750c70c26][i:c750c70c26]Originally posted by (SH)Saeed[/i:c750c70c26]

Who will get the bandwidth if someone downloads files from http://www.domainOne.com/~domainTwo/ ? DomainOne or DomainTwo?[/quote:c750c70c26]
    the answer is : domainOne.com

7. awsol

awsol cPanel Test Bitch

Turn on mod_bandwidthprotect (I think that's the name) What it does is stops people from linking from other peoples domains.

8. SHSaeed

[quote:274e920425][i:274e920425]Originally posted by awsol[/i:274e920425]

Turn on mod_bandwidthprotect (I think that's the name) What it does is stops people from linking from other peoples domains.[/quote:274e920425]

I think we have it on since users can only reach their website from our main domain and not any other domain on the server.

9. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:63aba21a51][i:63aba21a51]Originally posted by (SH)Saeed[/i:63aba21a51]

[quote:63aba21a51][i:63aba21a51]Originally posted by awsol[/i:63aba21a51]

Turn on mod_bandwidthprotect (I think that's the name) What it does is stops people from linking from other peoples domains.[/quote:63aba21a51]

I think we have it on since users can only reach their website from our main domain and not any other domain on the server.[/quote:63aba21a51]
    what you mean is mod_bwprotect however it's better to use mod_bwlimited too.

10. awsol

awsol cPanel Test Bitch

[quote:ac8fc9c76e][i:ac8fc9c76e]Originally posted by itf[/i:ac8fc9c76e]

[quote:ac8fc9c76e][i:ac8fc9c76e]Originally posted by (SH)Saeed[/i:ac8fc9c76e]

[quote:ac8fc9c76e][i:ac8fc9c76e]Originally posted by awsol[/i:ac8fc9c76e]

Turn on mod_bandwidthprotect (I think that's the name) What it does is stops people from linking from other peoples domains.[/quote:ac8fc9c76e]

I think we have it on since users can only reach their website from our main domain and not any other domain on the server.[/quote:ac8fc9c76e]
    what you mean is mod_bwprotect[/quote:ac8fc9c76e]

Yes that's it. I knew it wasn't that long name lol

11. SHSaeed

We have both mod_bwlimited and mod_bwprotect installed. However, users can reach their account from the server's main domain. Does this mean they get the bandwidth even if they use our server domain to access their account?

12. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:ece42d7816][i:ece42d7816]Originally posted by (SH)Saeed[/i:ece42d7816]

We have both mod_bwlimited and mod_bwprotect installed. However, users can reach their account from the server's main domain. Does this mean they get the bandwidth even if they use our server domain to access their account?[/quote:ece42d7816]
    Yes! By using http://serverdomain.com/~username/ the bandwidth usage will be affected on server domain not users’ domain

However if a user call a sample html like this http://userdomain.com/sample.html

Which sample html contains:

&html&
    &head&&/head&
    &title&sample bandwidth abuse&/title&
    &body&
    &IMG src=”http://serverdomain.com/~username/images/sample.jpg”&
    &/body&
    &/html&

Then sample.html file size will be added to user’s domain bandwidth usage and that image file to serverdomain.com

That is an easy way to abuse serverdomain's bandwidth without losing commercial reputation!!! It could be done with all of userdomain downloads without affecting your allotted bandwidth, huh :p

Maximum protection could be achived by disabling “UserDir” directive
    Find this in /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf

&IfModule mod_userdir.c&
    UserDir public_html
    &/IfModule&

And replace UserDir with this one:

UserDir disabled

But if you disable UserDir then /~username/ can not be used on that server also Shared SSL no longer could be offered !

13. SHSaeed

And new users can't access their website before their DNS has updated. Maybe we should delete this thread so users don't find out about this :p

14. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:61d636a85d][i:61d636a85d]Originally posted by (SH)Saeed[/i:61d636a85d]

And new users can't access their website before their DNS has updated. Maybe we should delete this thread so users don't find out about this :p [/quote:61d636a85d]
    It seems that I have to remove those part of my last post which teaches abuse, is this what you want?

15. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

itf, is there no way to disable ~user access over the hostname with UserDir enable then UserDir disable user1 etc. (as you've advised elsewhere in this forum)?

16. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:9eb6171129][i:9eb6171129]Originally posted by moronhead[/i:9eb6171129]

itf, is there no way to disable ~user access over the hostname with UserDir enable then UserDir disable user1 etc. (as you've advised elsewhere in this forum)?[/quote:9eb6171129]
    Yes, as I wrote before in this forum, you can enable or disable UserDir on a per user basis

When you use

UserDir disabled

no one can use /~user/ on the server but if you use

UserDir disabled
    UserDir enabled user1 user2 user3

Then except user1, 2 & 3 the others can’t use /~username/ on your server (It could be used vice versa too)

Advantages: Protecting your bandwidth means saving your money

But disabling UserDir has two disadvantages:
    1) Name based hosting users can’t access to their sites before their name servers changes within registrars pass the propagation period
    2) Shared SSL could not be offered as https://secureserver.com/~username/

But there are some resolutions:
    You can offer Shared SSL as subdomain https://username.secureserver.com
    And let new Name based users UserDir enabled as mentioned above then disable them after a period (you can do it by scripts too)
    What you need is wildcard SSL certificate to offer subdomain shared SSL
    (I wrote in this forum about ways to offer Shared SSL before, but if you want more details just post a new thread I’ll reply)

If you do this way you will no longer lose your bandwidth :)

17. xnull

xnull Well-Known Member

We've always had problems.. Cpanel says 1 #, WHM says another, and bandmin says yet a 3rd number.. I always go by bandmin. We've had problems with those numbers before, as Burst has gotten tons of extra money out of us for bandwidth we didn't actually use (one time they corrected it), but who knows what to do.. Bandmin seems better the last couple months.

18. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:aaab42796b][i:aaab42796b]Originally posted by xnull[/i:aaab42796b]

We've always had problems.. Cpanel says 1 #, WHM says another, and bandmin says yet a 3rd number.. I always go by bandmin. We've had problems with those numbers before, as Burst has gotten tons of extra money out of us for bandwidth we didn't actually use (one time they corrected it), but who knows what to do.. Bandmin seems better the last couple months.[/quote:aaab42796b]
    WHM counts bandwidth on HTTP, FTP and POP3 ports but bandmin use all of the ports for its calculation
    If you don't want to lose bandwidth read this thread from the beginning I wrote about it.

19. masood

masood Well-Known Member

[quote:fff84cfd5e][i:fff84cfd5e]Originally posted by (SH)Saeed[/i:fff84cfd5e]
    Maybe we should delete this thread so users don't find out about this :p [/quote:fff84cfd5e]

On the new apache build, there is protection to this bandwidth leeching ;)

Use advanced method to build and enable the protection.

20. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:2e6555b999][i:2e6555b999]Originally posted by masood[/i:2e6555b999]

[quote:2e6555b999][i:2e6555b999]Originally posted by (SH)Saeed[/i:2e6555b999]
    Maybe we should delete this thread so users don't find out about this :p [/quote:2e6555b999]

On the new apache build, there is protection to this bandwidth leeching ;)

Use advanced method to build and enable the protection.[/quote:2e6555b999]
    masood, please accept a piece of advice, before posting anything read the entire thread first.
    What you are trying to discuss is mod_bwprotect and what I wrote in this thread can not be protected with it also we discussed about mod_bwprotect and mod_bwlimited at this thread (page 1)

Please read the entire thread