Bandwidth counted double (or more) on subdomains.

mattcampbell

Sep 7, 2006
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the update.

Let us know when we can update.

I know this may not be as high a priority as this issue. But a related issue seems to be .htaccess files being deleted when an account is suspended.

I created a separate post in another thread. If you have time could you look into that?

Matt

mattcampbell

Sep 7, 2006
Hi Nick,

Applied the update.

It fixed domains with large bandwidth, but not ones with low-moderate (2-4GB).

Our setup is the following:

The main domain of the cpanel account is not used (setup as a service domain to access sites which have not proagated but no sites runs off it). So normally the bandwidth reported is 0 Meg or low Meg.

Off that main domain we use addon domains (which automatically create subdomains).

Example:

service.domain.com (main account domain)
site1.service.domain.com (subdomain for addon)
www.site1.com (addon domain)

We use this setup across a few accounts. Only those with large bandwidths have been fixed.

On one account the bandwidth stats are reporting:

service.domain.com (main account domain) as 4.18 Gig
site1.service.domain.com (subdomain for addon) as 2.05 Gig

I know this can't be right because as I mentioned the main account domain is not used for anything. Also raw access logs and awstats report no activity on the main domain.

Do we need to wait for stats to re-process or is the issue still not fixed?

Last edited:

rainboy

Mar 2, 2004
Eindhoven
Hi rainboy.

Unfortunately the problem did not appear in testing because it required the subdomain to do significantly more bandwidth then the main domain for the problem to be apparent. We have added this test case to our test suite to ensure the problem never occurs again. Right now this is a top priority case, and we expect to release 43472+ shortly to correct the issue.
This explained as the customers having this issue where having a main domain which did not have any traffic, and the subdomains have a lot of traffic; so this seems to match up with our observation. Hope the fix indeed fixed it.

Hope this will be tested at any new changes so it wont happen again.

bartdc

May 17, 2006
I also installed 43473, but the problem still persists. The bandwidth of the accounts dropped, but not significantly.

When you look at the attachment, you will see the bandwidth stats of an account without subdomains. The HTTP-traffic seems to be calculated correct, but the total traffic is way off. So I'm not sure if this problem is only limited to accounts with subdomains.

Something definately is still wrong. I have accounts showing graphs with more more SMTP-usage than HTTP-usage, while this certainly isn't the case.

Attachments

stormy

Nov 22, 2003
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I updated cPanel and while some accounts seem to have been corrected, the ones with the worse problem haven't.

I have one account where the main domain is showing 60GB of bandwidth usage, while the actual stats range in the MB.

The account has many add-on domains/subdomains. One of its subdomains has used about 23 GB.

The bandwidth usage erroneously attributed to the main domain is roughly double of the actual bandwidth usage across all subdomains.

mattcampbell

Sep 7, 2006
43473 didn't work to fix the issue on all accounts.

Still seeing subdomain bandwidth being attributed to both subdomain and main domain on some accounts and therefore counting as double.

Last edited:

mattcampbell

Sep 7, 2006
In actual fact the bandwidth is counting at more like 3 X the actual bandwidth.

If we have a subdomain with 2GB. The main domain is reporting 4GB (double the sub domain even though it may have used 0) which then totals to 6GB for the whole account.

We need an urgent fix to this cPanel!!

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
In actual fact the bandwidth is counting at more like 3 X the actual bandwidth.

If we have a subdomain with 2GB. The main domain is reporting 4GB (double the sub domain even though it may have used 0) which then totals to 6GB for the whole account.

We need an urgent fix to this cPanel!!
matt,

Please open a ticket at https://tickets.cpanel.net/submit/. If you PM me the ticket #, I will take a look.

Thanks

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi matt,

The repair tool did not account for domains that had done zero (or near zero) http traffic on the main domain, but had done subdomain http bandwidth. We will be releasing a new version which will take care of this in the next builds.

In the mean time, if you are running build 34373 and still have this problem, it can be repaired with:

Code:
/scripts/autorepair repair_bwsummary

bartdc

May 17, 2006
Hi Stormy,

The fix fixes some things, but not all. I opened a support ticket and they are still investigating this.

Greetings,
Bart

Johnson

Apr 16, 2003
Hi all,

we've updated cPanel on bunch of our servers today from 11.24.4 to 11.25.0-RELEASE_43473 and got double bandwidth for lots of accounts on all servers. Most of them don't even have sub/paker/addon domains. We've ran "correct_bwdaily" script to fix the problem but not sure if bandwith is being calculated correctly now. Does "correct_bwdaily" script fix bandwidth issues permanently or should we add "correct_bwdaily" to cron?

More detailed version update info for couple of servers:

Installed Version: 11.24.4-RELEASE_34599
Newest Version: 11.25.0-RELEASE_43473

Installed Version: 11.24.4-RELEASE_36167
Newest Version: 11.25.0-RELEASE_43473

mephisto

Feb 1, 2010
Bandwidth problem - can't update cPanel

Hello.
I have cPanel 11.25.0-C43470 and I am having the same subdomains bandwidth problem. I tried updating to newest current a few times (5 or even more). Every time it hangs at some moment.

First it was FTP update, than I rebooted my machine and now it stops at:

Code:
Dependencies Resolved

=============================================================================
 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size 
Updating:
 openssh                 x86_64     4.3p2-36.el5_4.4  updates           287 k
 openssh-clients         x86_64     4.3p2-36.el5_4.4  updates           449 k
 openssh-server          x86_64     4.3p2-36.el5_4.4  updates           273 k

Transaction Summary
Install      0 Package(s)         
Update       3 Package(s)         
Remove       0 Package(s)         

Total download size: 1.0 M
Downloading Packages:
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
any ideas??

cPanelDon

cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello.
I have cPanel 11.25.0-C43470 and I am having the same subdomains bandwidth problem. I tried updating to newest current a few times (5 or even more). Every time it hangs at some moment.

First it was FTP update, than I rebooted my machine and now it stops at:

Code:
Dependencies Resolved

Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size 
Updating:
 openssh                 x86_64     4.3p2-36.el5_4.4  updates           287 k
 openssh-clients         x86_64     4.3p2-36.el5_4.4  updates           449 k
 openssh-server          x86_64     4.3p2-36.el5_4.4  updates           273 k

Transaction Summary
Install      0 Package(s)         
Update       3 Package(s)         
Remove       0 Package(s)         

Total download size: 1.0 M
Downloading Packages:
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
any ideas??
It would appear there is an issue with the OS software package manager, YUM, and or its use of RPM or the RPM database.

As a basic test, please run the following command via root SSH access, and monitor to see if it produces any output (e.g., the version number of the "rpm" software package); in a normal situation it should complete very quickly, but if the RPM database is corrupt then it may appear to stall or fail:
Code:
# rpm -q rpm
If the above command does not complete, this may be an indication of the reason why the cPanel update is unable to complete, because the RPM database may be corrupt.

Are you able to update your OS manually, such as using one of the following commands?
Code:
# yum check-update
# yum update
If running "yum" manually does not help, or if the "rpm" command does not complete, please submit a support request so that we may assist with investigating the issue and surrounding circumstances.

When available, please let me know the ticket ID number (e.g., via a PM) upon submitting the support request so that I may follow-up internally. For reference, the links in my forums signature may be used to initiate a ticket submission (e.g., Support Options).