Bandwidth Exceeded Webpage - customer upset

rpmws

Aug 14, 2001
back woods of NC, USA
Originally posted by rfgdxm
>Maybe I am in a world of my own here. I know and agree the header needs fixing however. Good luck to anyone that run a "inportant" web site in 509 status!

One possibility that you haven't seemed to consider here. It is possible for this 509 status to occur due to error or confusion by the host. You seem to think this will only happen due to the fault of the site owner. It could happen, and likely does in the real world, that the site owner wants to keep his beloved, pet website online, and tells the host to do whatever it takes and send him the bill. If that host is running CPanel and drops the ball, the host could destroy that site in search engines for months. In that case I'd say the host is morally responsible, and probably also financially.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

No I did NOT neglect to consider that. In fact it happens to me weekly. cPanel isn't perfect when it comes to BW calculation. If you scroll up a few posts you will see where I mention that posibility. Quote below.

------------------------------------------------
Again yes I agree ..the proper header is in order. But making it a priority I just can't see. And yes I can see where it could ruin a popular site. I can also see where if it was a freaky BW error and no one was available for soem time to fix it. I can see where that could get to a finger pointing deal ..and if google bot indexed at that time .. well that would suck for the site and the host. IF is was the hosts fault that the site was down for 509. If it was true useage then the webmaster admin for the site should keep track of those things to avoild the 509 in the first place. That's my 1cent worth anyway.
-----------------------------------------------------

If your host is so slow to help you .. then you need a new one. Simple as that.

rfgdxm

Registered
Oct 6, 2003
>If your host is so slow to help you .. then you need a new one. Simple as that.

OK. Or if your host just can't find a way to fulfill your needs you need a new one. In particular there are folks out there who'd make it clear that if there ever was a bandwidth issue they'd just want their credit card charged extra rather than the site being yanked offline.

rpmws

Aug 14, 2001
back woods of NC, USA
Originally posted by rfgdxm
>If your host is so slow to help you .. then you need a new one. Simple as that.

OK. Or if your host just can't find a way to fulfill your needs you need a new one. In particular there are folks out there who'd make it clear that if there ever was a bandwidth issue they'd just want their credit card charged extra rather than the site being yanked offline.

and that is all a webmaster can do ..is offer his payment if the host needs it. and in fact I bump people up to the next package if I see a site about to go over all the time. I have never had a site down for 509 that did not deserve it ..with the exception of once where cpanel caculated wrong a entire server at 4PM. I had it fixed in 1 minute.

myusername

PartnerNOC
Mar 6, 2003
chown -R us.*yourbase*
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
If the site is serious about what they are doing they will never see a 509 error.

1. They have a contact email address that tells them when the host is about to run over bandwidth.
2. They can view their available bandwidth from cPanel
3. They have a host that is not a flake, who will not "accidentally" drop the ball and keep them on a 509.
4. A site that is serious about search engine placement and ranking will know immediately when their site shows a 509
and contact their host, if their host is at school for the day and they cant get ahold of anyone they will move to a host that can accomodate their requests in a resonable amount of time (i.e. 10 minutes)

Sorrry but that falls on the user if they dont want to be "googlefucked" they won't be. I agree the headers would be nice if they were changed but if they were not that is fine as well.

It gives the customers you are not properly dealing with a chance to move over to my services.

woolly

Dec 29, 2003
I am experiencing the same problem with my clients.. can cPanel please fix this ASAP?

rfgdxm

Registered
Oct 6, 2003
Good goddess!! Cpanel still hasn't fixed a bug as disastrous as this one? :eek: There is a word for this: incompetence.

myusername

PartnerNOC
Mar 6, 2003
chown -R us.*yourbase*
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Last I read it was not to be fixed until 9.5.0 which was to be the main reason for this release due to differnt quota support issues with the OS.

I will try to find the thread...