The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bandwidth monitoring - Urgent help pls guys

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frankc, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Frankc

Frankc Well-Known Member

Hi everybody

As is it seems that my business, that I build during the past few years with very hard work, are going to close because of very high invoice for bandwidth usage.

In South Africa our Telkom company earn about R400 000 per 2500 gb bandwidth while the same amount would cost in USA about R3000. (R7 = $1)

My WHM server stats only show around 21 GB of bandwidth usage (19 June) and about the same amount for May while the invoice is for 61 GB. (Not much, in fact nothing, for international guys but at the cost of OUR bandwidth....)

Can anyone please give me some info about a very accurate bandwidth monitoring tool please?

My only change is to challenge the service provider on the total bandwidth used and without a good and accurate bandwdith monitoring tool I don't have any change at all.

Thanks in advange.

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Assuming you have your own own switch/router, then you can configure it to show the amount of bandwidth (inbound and outbound).

3. Frankc

Frankc Well-Known Member

It is unfortunately only a server with WHM on a server rack at this company.

Originally I had two servers, one in UK and one in SA but due to the increasingly weaker rand/gbp value I decided to move the UK websites to SA server after carefully checked the max bandwidth over several months.

I estimated this, from the WHM stats, at around 20 gb in total and it now also match my stats on the new server.

The 60 GB that I am now charged for is 3 times higher than the expected bandwidth and as said, at the cost of our bandwidth I simply cannot effort it. (After loosing about 20% clients because they was not happy with the limited bandwidth packages on the SA server)

Seems like a bad decision to move the websites to SA server, but we only have one Telkom company and their connection with international is so slow that I have proof that even a 56k modem sometimes connected faster to the UK servers as the fastest 1gb ADSL that they have.

4. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

The WHM is never a good tool to measure inbound/outbound bandwidth. Since you don't own your own rack, there are few application you can explore including: ntop at: www.ntop.org

If that doesn't help, visit our Web site and contact us. One of our engineers will be more than happy to help.

5. pross

pross Well-Known Member

6. Boriskag

Boriskag Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble with vnstat php front end.

vnstat is working fine, and I dumped the info using command line, however i'm still seeing 0's across the board.

i use eth0 and vnstat php is in /home/dmfsnipe/hosting/traffic/

i have a folder for dumps in there

i use vnstat --dumpdb -i eth0 > /home/dmfsnipe/hosting/traffic/dumps/vnstat_dump_eth0

7. Boriskag

Boriskag Well-Known Member

I got it working.

I had to chown the files and change permissions.