The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bandwidth per email account

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by User2012, Mar 4, 2014.

1. User2012

User2012 Registered

Mar 4, 2014
    cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi all,

First post at these forums and I'm not very knowledgeable so apologies if my terminology is off :)

We have several accounts (domains) that we manage via cpanel.

One of them usually uses bandwidth of circa 700MB p/m but at some months it goes up to almost 5GB(!).

We can see the spike is happening at the emails of that domain but can't seem to find a way to drill down and find how much bandwidth each email used to find the offending accounts (who knows, it could be just 1-2 accounts causing this by sending spam or what not :-S ).

If there a way to do this?

Thank you! :)
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

While there are no native tools that will give you the bandwidth per email account, you can find unsorted bandwidth data for POP3 in the following file:

I suggest searching the above file for the domain name in question to determine if a specific email user is displaying more activity than others. EX:

grep /var/log/maillog
    The following thread includes some commands to grep /var/log/maillog for specific domain names and email accounts that you might find helpful:

POP3 Bandwidth Usage

Thank you.