The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bandwidth Question....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tom Pyles, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Tom Pyles

Tom Pyles Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if anyone else has issues with the bandwidth reporting in WHM/CPanel. We run MRTG on our servers and our bandwidth is a lot more than what Cpanel reports....a big difference, often times more than double what WHM is reporting. This becomes an issue since we bill our clients on what their CPanel says, and not what MRTG says (How can you tell a client their usage was more than what they are seeing..by double).

Just as an example, our WHM shows 75 gigs usage for December on 1 server. That same servers usage is actually almost 140 gigs according to MRTG. Bandmin shows 105 gigs ( a little closer).

Anyhow, how do you guys get around this...it happens on all of our servers at different NOC's (I point that out because I thought it was a problem with MRTG at our original NOC).

2. Bram

Bram Member

same problem here..

The bandwidth total with MRTG is a lot more than the total that WHM reports..

My example: our WHM shows 2.4 gigs for December, MRTG stats show 31 gigs..

3. AlaskanWolf

AlaskanWolf Well-Known Member

likewise here

From the looks of it, my &Incoming& traffic closely matches that of bandmin, but the big thing is outgoing

1 server says in cpanel 40 gigs this month so far, bandmin says 43 gigs....then bandmin goes on....outgoing traffic 600 gigs!!!

Total Bandmin: 734 gigs
    ----Incoming: 40 gigs
    ----Outgoing: 630 gigs
    ----Broadcast: 60 gigs

Total Cpanel: 43 gigs

Per customer, it seems cpanel is stating very closely to bandmins &incoming& traffic, they are usually only 1-2 gigs apart, but bandmin also has the outgoing, and thats very different, heres 1 customer stats thats on a static ip

Bandmin
    incoming: 3 gigs
    outgoing: 73 gigs

Cpanel
    Total for Jan: 3 gigs

&Hi, we have a monitor in place called Bandmin and it says your bandwidth usage this month is 50 gigs&

&No its not!! i just checked my banwidth monitor in my control panel and it only says 10 gigs&

how many have those types of emails / tickets come across your desk....

4. orca

orca Well-Known Member

Well, my whm showed 32 gb for one site and 84 gb for another. all other tools showed the correct amount which is under 1 gb as those sites are in development.

5. Tom Pyles

AlaskanWolf Posted:
    &Hi, we have a monitor in place called Bandmin and it says your bandwidth usage this month is 50 gigs&

&No its not!! i just checked my banwidth monitor in my control panel and it only says 10 gigs&

how many have those types of emails / tickets come across your desk....

-------------------------------------------
    I try to charge people by what Cpanel says....it is hard to tell them different if they can't see it. The times I do tell them is if they complain about our overage prices

'In actuality, you used 100gigs this month, however, since CPanel has reported 50gigs, that is what we will bill you for. Our cost is still on 100gigs of data transfer'

6. orca

orca Well-Known Member

well, it starts again...one site has now reached again 80% of bw limit...

7. Bram

Bram Member

I suggest we keep posting in this thread until this problem is solved.

We all keep paying for bandwidth that our friends/customers use, because cPanel/WHM isn't capable of reporting the correct bandwidth usage.

8. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't have 'mrtg' installed but do see &major& differences between WHM & Bandmin.

A popular client Stats for Jan. showed (in GB):

WHM - 26.155
    Bandmin - 4.378 (In) and 26.358 (Out) = 30.736 (Total)

Diff - 4.581

Quite a difference in anybodies book, I would think.

I don't understand why it is so difficult for the DC / Server / Client to all be able to refer to the same (and accurate) Data Transfer reports for each month. Especially for IP assigned accounts -- I can see where Named based accounts might run into a bit more difficulty.

Does anyone know if at least, 'mrtg' is the most accurate measuring tool that can be used by the DC and the Server? If so, I can see where it would be the effort to install it on my Server.

9. Tom Pyles

How difficult would it be for the Cpanel folks to integrate something like mrtg into the system? I know it will never be exactly the same, but something remotely close would be great. Paid my bill today to our DC and its no fun at all. I'd like to recoup some of the money for what our clients are actually using.

10. mpkapadia

mpkapadia Active Member

THis happens on my server too

In WHM it is just not calculating the EMAIL and FTP bandwidth
    I have some accounts which are only pointing to my server via mx records and have lots of mail accounts and they always show 0 mb used.

Also if i create a domain which is primarily used only for FTP it shows 0 mb usage, this is even if i transfer hundreds of mb to it.

Does something like this happen to you guys also ???

COntacted cpanel support, Absolutely no response. Contacted my provider fastservers.net and they shut me up saying its supposed to be that way :(

All bandwidth that it shows to me is the http bandwidth.

Ideas anyone??

Regards
    Manish