The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bandwidth

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by homeuser55, Dec 3, 2003.

1. homeuser55

homeuser55 Active Member

Can anyone help, Please.

Our sever is very slow and the running proccesses are low, but still all of the bandwith or internet traffic is very high.

Nothing out of the ordinary shows up for running proccess.

all of our internet connection is being used and i cant find out what could be using it. As i said the running proccesses are low.

Does anyone know how i can check what is using all of the bandwith and stop it?

Thanks for your help.

--- Keith ---

2. Planet_Master

Planet_Master Well-Known Member

I would say the best way to start is to go to WHM and under Account Functions click on "View bandwidth Usage". This will show what domain is bleeding your BW. You can then check that domains bandwidth stats and see what is the actual villian.

I have a site on one of my servers that uses over 500GB a month and the server loads are always very low. Its a downloading site, so you dont need high server loads to use bandwidth.

3. homeuser55

homeuser55 Active Member

I went to where you said and i only noticed one account that was at 1.28 gig as of December 1. all other accounts on the sever are very low. I did notice this near the top of the page though....

This is ONLY http,ftp and pop traffic (usually 97% of traffic), please use a tool like bandmin or mrtg to see traffic on other ports. If the user is doing traffic on other ports it will not appear here.

Is there any other way to find out what could be using all the bandwith.

things are very slow over here today.

:(

b.t.w. thanks for your help

--- Keith ---

4. Planet_Master

Use bandmin to see all transfers in
    http://serverIP/bandwidth/

If you do not know the user/pass go to WHM and under "Server Setup" click on Set Bandmin Password. From there you can also login clicking on the link at top of page. This will give you more detailed stats and show in and out transfers

#4 Planet_Master, Dec 3, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2003
  5. homeuser55

homeuser55 Active Member

thank you Planet_Master.

I will try this and get back to you on what happens.

6. homeuser55

homeuser55 Active Member

No luck yet.

It only shows we have 3.7 gigs of transfer as of dec. 1st.

dec. 1 st .992
    dec. 2nd 1,113
    dec. 3rd 1,768

maybe we are being attacted or something. Do you know how this can be checked? or stopped.

7. Planet_Master

Well let me ask, how much bandwidth has been used over what the bandmin says? If you say only 3.7 gigs is used so far this month, then what is telling you there is more being used? Just so I can pinpoint some course of action.

8. homeuser55

homeuser55 Active Member

I'm not sure how to explain this other than the little lights on the modem is constantly active and our speed is very slow. We do have other computers on this connection, But the sever light is the only light blinking at a constant rate. If I shut down the sever the Internet connection is fine, its a perfect world. But there is no evidence of bandwidth usage on the sever although its blinking like there is all kinds of activity. And nothing is showing up for running processes or over excessive bandwidth usage. This happened once before and we place a fresh cpanel install on and everything was fine. Now after 5months we got it again. I like to know how to track down what is happening. Any ideas???

#8 homeuser55, Dec 3, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2003
  9. homeuser55

homeuser55 Active Member

We have decided to do a fresh install but have nothing but problems. It keeps stopping and hanging in the middle of the download. We did get the layer2 to run but once we logged into whm for the first time we had nothing but problems getting bind and apache to start. So we will wait for cPanel to fix the install and redo it at a later time when it has definitely been fixed.

10. homeuser55

homeuser55 Active Member

We are trying this command next to see what happens.

/scripts/fixeverything

I have my fingers crossed.