The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banning an Isp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JonW, Sep 10, 2003.

1. JonW

JonW Registered

I am looking for a way to ban an isp of someone who takes advantage of our free for 30 days trial period. We have Perlbill as an auto set up and this joker will set up a new account when we suspend and delete the one he was billed for. I was told by our host to go into root shell and do the following

To add a block for an IP address, run the following in a root shell, replacing
    <ip address> with the IP you'd like to block:

iptables -I INPUT -s <ip address> -j DROP

To remove the block later, use the following:

iptables -D INPUT -s <ip address> -j DROP

I guess I am stupid because I looked and cant find a link to the root shell. Is this something that needs to be done with a program like putty? I had to do that once to upgrade apache but forgot how to use the program.

Can someone explain in an idiots language with step by step instructons on how to ban this bozo?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, download putty. Then login as your user. Make sure he is included in the wheel group, listed in whm. Then type in "su -", and type in the password. Then type in your commands, and that should work.