The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bare Bones FreeBSD 5.4

Discussion in 'Migrate to cPanel' started by GREG3f, Sep 13, 2011.

1. GREG3f

GREG3f Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is it possible to install Cpanel onto a clean OS and then import from my production FreeBSD 5.4 server?

If so, which OS is best to allow for an easy import?

I have aprox 50 domains and 1500 user accounts. Little MySQL and older PHP and Apache versions.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Greg

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't understand the import part, you mean to put cPanel onto a new machine which you then transfer accounts to that machine from a server that did not have a control panel? Otherwise, what control panel is on the other machine?

3. GREG3f

GREG3f Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, import from production server which does not have any panel installed, just running FreeBsd 5.4.

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The recommended operating systems are the following:

System Requirements - cPanel Inc.

Currently, the most used OS we have for cPanel licensing would be CentOS 5 versions. If you want to rsync or scp over accounts to a new server with cPanel where the old server is FreeBSD without a control panel, I would recommend trying to move over to a CentOS 5 or CentOS 6 machine rather than staying with FreeBSD. We have a policy whereby FreeBSD will be locked into cPanel/WHM 11.30 versions, so it would be better to use either RHEL or CentOS for the new machine.

5. GREG3f

GREG3f Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK, will Cpanel import all my sites and users after it is rsynced?

I thought that all the sites and users would have to be added in cpanel first? This is not feasible as we don't have a record of every user's password and it would take a long time to manually add all the users.

Please advise.

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are bringing over the /etc/passwd, /etc/group and /etc/shadow files but ensuring to keep the cPanel created users for those files (so you'd want a backup and then to import the data from the old machine), you can maintain the passwords for those user logins, but those users will not show up in cPanel as existing users because they won't have the created entries such as /var/cpanel/users/username file. Additionally, the domains won't be properly added to /etc/trueuserdomains, /etc/userdomains, etc.

The easier method would certainly be to create the accounts first, then import the /etc/shadow entries for those accounts to maintain the passwords.

Of note, you can add users in command line, which could let you loop through a list of users to create. The command to create a user account in root SSH would be:

After the account has been added, you could then bring /etc/shadow entries (not the full file as you would need to keep the contents for the existing cPanel added entries) over to have the same password.

You will have to do quite a bit of manual work here because the server didn't have a supported control panel to use for transferring.