Basic Auth results in "ERR_TOO_MANY_RETRIES"

WorkinOnIt

Well-Known Member
Aug 3, 2016
212
30
28
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello

For some basic wordpress sites, we use a Basic Auth popup to add another layer of security.

<FilesMatch "wp-login.php">
AuthName "Authorized Only"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /home/username/.wpadmin
require valid-user
</FilesMatch>

And in the .wpadmin file, we have added the username and password MD5. It has worked just fine. However, after what appears to have been a cPanel update, we now get the following issues:

This site can’t be reached
The web page at example.com/wp-login.php might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ERR_TOO_MANY_RETRIES


When we disable the FilesMatch entry, the wp-admin section loads fine again.

Is there any reason why the above would suddenly stop working ? Could it be something to do with the WordPress Toolkit (that recently got installed.... and how do we remove WordPress Toolkit?)

Thanks
 
Last edited:

pwaara

Member
Aug 10, 2016
22
1
3
Hawaii
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I am experiencing the same issue. I use directory protection on my dev sites to prevent crawlers and unauthorized access. Yesterday, everything worked fine. Today, all my dev sites are broken returning

"
This site can’t be reached
The webpage at might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.


ERR_TOO_MANY_RETRIES
"

This is only happening in Chrome. It works in Firefox and Edge.
 

WorkinOnIt

Well-Known Member
Aug 3, 2016
212
30
28
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Yes same issue by the sounds of it. Mine was also working fine yesterday, so I suspect something has changed on the server, but I've not yet checked to see if there has been an update, but I can't see why else it would suddenly be returning this error.
 

pwaara

Member
Aug 10, 2016
22
1
3
Hawaii
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Ok, I think I found it. It appears to be caused by the LastPass extension I use as my password keeper. If I turn off " Automatically fill login information " in the Options of LastPass, everything works as expected. That was a weird one. I presume LassPass must have updated overnight, and when I rebooted this morning, the new version introduced the bug. I'll see if there is a place to report bugs to LastPass.