The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic DNS Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Shaun M, May 25, 2017.

1. Shaun M

Shaun M Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Great community and a lot of good people.

The title of this thread is actually "where I am at" with my VPS/WHM/cPanel/Domains and SSL. Before the question 'have you looked through the community forums and knowledge base' is asked, my answer is yes. Like others, to me, my issue is most taxing mentally. It has been several years since I danced with WHM/cPanel as a full administrator. So here we are.

Administrate Methods: SSH, WinSCP, Browser

> nameserver name: host.domain.co (example name bcuz' of community rules)
    > at the registrar: ns1/ns2.domain.co using custom settings with my IPs
    > 81.x.xx.xx (main unfiltered IP) => 185.3x.xxx.xxx (DDoS-Filtered IP)
    > end of registrar settings for now

> I am using cPanel's DNS servers so I need to in WHM > Edit DNS Zone make sure that there's a DNS zone for "domain.co" which contains the following A records:
    host.domain.co => 81.x.xxx.xx
    ns1.domain.co => 81.x.xxx.xx
    ns2.domain.co => 185.3x.xxx.xxx

(as well as the other usual cPanel DNS records like www, ftp, cpanel, etc).

So this is all hear say for now. I had to use my PC hosts file to view whm. On my IP for ns1 if you type into browser (Chrome) I get the cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi error landing page. Understandably, I can't access anything until the DNS headache is correct. This is the 3rd attempt - wipe/install fresh CentOS 6/run cpanel install command in cd /home directory. Today everything worked correctly (install without error, etc.) and as mentioned using local hosts to finally get into WHM.

Where am I at? Step 2. WHM first time set up

The Resolver(s)
    > 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 - Do I leave those as is?
    > Tertiary Resolver (who do you recommend/suggest most reliable?)

Select the main network/Ethernet device: vnet0:0 - 0:1 or other?
    > My VPS is (OpenVZ) CentOS 6 64-bit

So thank you for taking the time to read this. The shared hosting environment and teaching to others is a breeze. But now that I am full time again as a Box owner/Admin, need to ask for some help.

Shaun M.

Attached Files:

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Shaun,

Those are public resolvers, and they should work fine. However, you may want to check with your hosting provider to see if they offer specific resolver IP addresses to use as that can sometimes improve DNS performance/reliability when your server makes outgoing connections. The tertiary resolver is just a third resolver in-case the first two fail. You can use your providers resolvers for that option, or add another public resolver if you prefer (e.g. 4.2.2.2).

You'd leave it as the default entry in most cases, however you can always confirm what your network device is by running the "ifconfig" command via SSH.

Thank you.

Shaun M likes this.
  3. Shaun M

Shaun M Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    .@cPanelMichael Hello,

Thank you kindly for the response. The minute after I hit Post Reply, I am going to start in WHM again.

My primary concern was to leave/not to leave 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 as is. Now, that has been answered.

As for the hosting provider, my Linux Box is un-managed. So everything that is done, as you know, is up to me. My support there said to use cPanel's DNS. So on to the next step. I will keep this thread detailed with my progress. And not jump around the forums. Much easier for you Gurus and it's simply good business.

Again, Thank You!

Shaun M.

cPanelMichael likes this.