The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic user download question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SparHawk, Aug 1, 2004.

1. SparHawk

SparHawk Registered

I use sitespinner. My os is winxp. I have a small but nice site and I want a page for users to be able to download files. I have in the past directly linked a text or pic or whatever to the file. For some reason I can't get it to work here. I am not very familiar with cPanel x or mysql so maybe that is the problem. I really dunno. help please. TY.

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

more info downloading how (via ftp) or just a link to txt file or image or whatever what type of file

Dont think cpanel is your problem

3. SparHawk

SparHawk Registered

to be exact i want a user to be able to click a text and begin a d/l from there. Small files that won't take much to d/l. when i try this now the link takes me to index2.php. i don't even use php. LOL. Just when I think I am getting the hang of this I get confused. Ty for the response.

4. BlackJK

BlackJK Registered

You can create a new directory/folder in your public_html/ directory, name it "FILES" or whatever you prefer. Upload the files to it, then link your members to the folder. They'll see a basic index list of the files to choose from.

Set the directory permissions to dis-allow the uploads/write option from members. Cpanel will also allow you to password protect the new directory.

5. SparHawk

SparHawk Registered

Thank you.