BCC does not work on exim

abubin

Dec 7, 2004
I seems to have problem receiving BCC mails. Cannot receive at all.

I have setup mails from users to forward to one single general account. Then my local mail server will retrieve mails from this single account and distribute mails according to recipient email address.

Anyone know how and where to tackle this problem?

abubin

Dec 7, 2004
Here is more info on what i did.

I tried sending email from a gmail account. 2 email account are involved. [email protected] and [email protected].

[email protected] is a pop3 user email account.

[email protected] is forwarded to [email protected]

1) TO:[email protected] and BCC:[email protected] :-

[email protected] receive the mail but not [email protected]

2) TO:[email protected] and BCC:[email protected] :-

[email protected] receive the mail, so does [email protected]

Verdict. Mail forwarding does not with with BCC.

Anyone wanna test this on their cpanel server and let me know whether this problem is cpanel/exim related or just my server.

Thanks in advance.

casey

Jan 17, 2003
Could be mailscanner, maybe. Also check any filter settings that you might have. I doubt exim would be the culprit.

abubin

Dec 7, 2004
could it be that because of header changes by mailscanner? because I think the problem is that my mail server program Winroute Pro is unable to handle that BCC mail created through forwarding.

But strangely, it was working fine on the ensim server running mailscanner also.

Last edited:

abubin

Dec 7, 2004
Found this that might be helpful :

Q. We cannot receive email to users in the BCC field. The message is always routed to the postmaster account. Is there something configured incorrectly?
A.
BCC only works with SMTP mail. By definition, the carbon copy is 'Blind'. There are no headers in the message which can be parsed using the POP3 method that would provide the address.

The only hope for these kinds of messages is to get the ISP to stamp the message file with the delivery information from the SMTP session during delivery to the ISP. For example, when the person sends the BCC message to the ISP hosting the mail, some of them stamp a header called 'Delivered-To:' into the message. VisNetic MailServer could pick up on such a header if it existed.

Is there anyway I could stamp a header "Delivered-To:" in exim?

----------

Here is a sample of the said mail :
Code:
Envelope-to: [email protected] 
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; 
        s=beta; d=gmail.com; 
        h=received:message-id:date:from:reply-to:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition; 
        b=DZpg6xiWI7oQkCRD6Y6iw5UFFZS5zKkaljALhbCHn7L6vijzv6o9dXpuVb96jSVHIaIT2EXExit64L1hNV6MaXE6TWP3cbh+31ZwzJ2b7E/qz/NdBMmo/czX8B/Rgb4inFaegLxS2zO6fCiCdX8Rwq2djwoAo8JGqFeq8itW4X8= 
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:23:22 +0800 
Reply-To: abubin <[email protected]> 
To: [email protected] 
Subject: BCC to mei 
X-cPanel-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the ISP for more information 
X-cPanel-MailScanner: Found to be clean 
X-cPanel-MailScanner-SpamCheck: not spam, SpamAssassin (score=0.024, 
        required 5, RCVD_BY_IP 0.02) 
X-cPanel-MailScanner-From: [email protected] 

this is for mei only
This mail is sent TO:[email protected] and BCC:[email protected] This is the copy for [email protected] as you can see in the Envelope-to section. But it didn't get delivered to mei but instead went to my postmaster mail on my winroute pro email software.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

dave9000

Apr 7, 2003
arkansas
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
See if this is unchecked in tweak settings

Silently Discard all FormMail-clone requests with a bcc: header in the subject line

With the forward if this is checked could cause the BCC to be discarded

abubin

Dec 7, 2004
anton_latvia said:
Seems that we have similar situation here. Did you manage to solve your problem?
found out that this problem is more to do with our pop3 retrieval software. Older pop3 retrieval software only allows sorting through certain headers like "Delivered-To" or "CC". But with exim, it uses "Envelope-To" to avoid a lot of spamming software which exploit "Delivered-To" header. So, you only choice is to change pop3 retrieval software (which we did) or to learn up exim programming and add BCC fields to "Delivered-to" or whichever header your pop3 retrieval software is using for sorting user mails.