Be afraid, be very afraid... WHM News, big red warnings???

jols

Mar 13, 2004
We're up to WHM 11.2.0 cPanel 11.8.0-R16150.

Just last night I saw a big red block warnings when clicking the News link up top in the main WHM page. Here's one:
-----------------------
Security Notice:
A security vulnerability was discovered in cPanel which may result in privilege escalation. This vulnerability can be resolved by updating your cPanel software here. The necessary patch will occur automatically on all servers during the daily execution of upcp. If cron jobs have been disabled on your server, then you should manually update your cPanel software.
-----------------------

Okay, so I upgraded all of our servers. And still this warning persists. What gives?

mstuebner

May 13, 2007
We're up to WHM 11.2.0 cPanel 11.8.0-R16150.

Just last night I saw a big red block warnings when clicking the News link up top in the main WHM page. Here's one:
-----------------------
Security Notice:
A security vulnerability was discovered in cPanel which may result in privilege escalation. This vulnerability can be resolved by updating your cPanel software here. The necessary patch will occur automatically on all servers during the daily execution of upcp. If cron jobs have been disabled on your server, then you should manually update your cPanel software.
-----------------------

Okay, so I upgraded all of our servers. And still this warning persists. What gives?
I had the same, but others told me that this message for some reason just stays.

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
It stays as that page is simply a html document on the cPanel servers retrieved into WHM and doesn't reflect your servers status. So it will remain as long as cPanel have that page up. Not really ideal, but that's how it works.

verdon

Nov 1, 2003
Northern Ontario, Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It stays as that page is simply a html document on the cPanel servers retrieved into WHM and doesn't reflect your servers status. So it will remain as long as cPanel have that page up. Not really ideal, but that's how it works.
Ya, it's unfortunate. It becomes a bit of a 'Cry Wolf' sort of thing. I realized I stopped looking at that page ages ago.

Website Rob

Mar 23, 2002
Alberta, Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I also agree with verdon. News msgs. without dates and do not go away -- even if instructions stated are followed -- lose credibility pretty quick.